So you've started a poetry blog, and now it's time to make some money from it! Once you've got the basics down, it's time to dive into monetization methods.
Trust me, this is going to be a blast! It's like the cherry on top of your blogging journey.
Whether you're a newbie or a poetry influencer, these monetization techniques will help you transform your blog into a profitable business. Let's explore each one in detail.
Why You Can Trust Our Poetry Blog Monetization Guide
Lasso is installed on over 8,000 websites, including many poetry blogs.
Our team has built multiple 7-figure blogs in a wide range of niches.
We have hands-on experience working with founders to grow and monetize their poetry blogs.
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the best monetization method for poetry bloggers because it hits the sweet spot between time investment and earning potential.
Affiliate marketing is a form of advertising where a publisher (the site owner) links to a product in their content and earns a commission from the advertiser (the affiliate program) if readers click on that link and make a purchase.
TIP: With all monetization methods, the rule of thumb is the easier it is to accomplish, the less money you can make, and vice versa.
Also, since you can add links to your existing content, it’s the perfect method for beginners. You’ve already written content, so you’ve already done the hard part.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Poetry Bloggers
When it comes to recommending affiliate products in the poetry blogging niche, there are several options to consider. Here are some different kinds of affiliate products that can be recommended:
- Poetry books: Recommending poetry books can be a great way to earn affiliate income. You can provide reviews and recommendations for popular poetry collections, anthologies, or books by renowned poets.
- Poetry courses: Many aspiring poets are looking for guidance and instruction. Affiliate programs that offer online poetry courses can be a valuable recommendation for your audience.
- Poetry workshops and retreats: Recommending workshops or retreats focused on poetry can be appealing to poets looking to enhance their skills and connect with other like-minded individuals.
- Poetry-related merchandise: Poetry-themed merchandise such as mugs, t-shirts, or posters can be recommended. Look for affiliate programs that offer unique and high-quality products.
- Poetry writing tools: Writers are always in search of tools to aid their creative process. Recommending tools like writing software, notebooks, or pens can be beneficial for both your audience and your affiliate income.
- Poetry-themed jewelry: For those who love to wear their passion for poetry, recommending jewelry with poetic quotes or symbols can be a stylish and meaningful affiliate recommendation.
By recommending these different kinds of affiliate products, you can earn income while providing valuable resources and inspiration to your poetry blogging audience.
Once you’ve identified which products will solve problems for your readers, you need to sign up for their affiliate programs.
You should start by joining the Amazon Associates affiliate program.
Most physical products in the poetry niche will be available on Amazon, and the conversion rate on Amazon is insane.
Yes, Amazon’s commission rates are rough, and they only offer a 24-hour cookie duration, but the conversion rate makes up for it. Plus, you’re nearly guaranteed to get accepted into their program.
For products that aren’t available on Amazon, just Google “[Product] affiliate program,” and you’ll find their program’s signup page.
To save you some time, here are a few of the best affiliate networks for poetry bloggers:
Commission Rate: 8% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 7 Days
Udemy is the biggest hub of paid and free online courses on the web. With so many coureses, it has training and content in every niche possible.
Commission Rate: $0.20 - $20 Per Lead
Cookie Duration: 90 Days
Grammarly is a software suite that assists in English spelling, grammar, and more. Get up to $20 per sale as well as $0.20 per lead.
Commission Rate: Up to 45% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Coursera offers over 1,000 courses and specializations. Each course consists of pre-recorded videos, puzzles, and assignments.
TIP: We maintain a database of the best affiliate programs. Click here to see the best writing affiliate programs.
Once you’ve been approved for the product’s affiliate program, the program will give you your affiliate link, and you can start inserting it into your content.
How To Monetize A Poetry Blog With Affiliate Marketing
To add your link to your content, go to your post editor, highlight the relevant text, and insert the link.
Here are a few best practices for adding affiliate links to your WordPress blog:
- Add links where it’s helpful. Adding too many links to your blog posts is just like adding too many ads; it’s annoying. Add links to product titles, images, CTA buttons, and the first time you mention a product. That’s plenty.
- Disclose your links. Every blog post with affiliate links should have a disclaimer at the beginning, and every CTA or product image should also.
- Use direct sales language. When you are writing your call to action, be direct. It’s not rude to say, “Check the price” or “Buy this product today.” Being too passive makes you look unconfident.
Or, take it a step further by creating product displays.
You Can Double Your Affiliate Sales With Lasso Displays
You can create displays manually using the post editor to add links to images and buttons.
However, it can be time-consuming to create these displays and keep them updated if you’re doing it all by hand.
Luckily, monetizing your blog with affiliate links is simplified when you’re using a tool like Lasso.
Lasso makes it super easy to add links and product displays to your posts. You can add product displays to posts right from the post editor; no coding is required. It’s as simple as clicking your mouse three times.
You can also automatically import product info from retailers like Amazon. Just paste the link into the Lasso dashboard, and Lasso will populate the display with the product title, image, and price.
With all of this, remember to follow the guidelines in the affiliate program’s terms and conditions. Amazon, in particular, is pretty stringent.
But everything Lasso does is compliant with Amazon Associates’ TOS, so you never have to worry about being booted from the program.
That’s just scratching the surface of what Lasso can do to help you monetize your poetry blog. If you’re ready to start making a serious affiliate income from your poetry site, sign up for Lasso today.
A WordPress plugin that lets you add, manage, and display your affiliate links from any program, including Amazon. Increase conversions. Find new affiliate link opportunities. Earn more revenue! Less than 5 minutes to set up.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons for Poetry Bloggers
Affiliate marketing can be a lucrative opportunity for bloggers, but it also comes with its pros and cons.
One major advantage of affiliate marketing for bloggers is the potential for passive income. By promoting products or services through affiliate links, bloggers can earn a commission for each sale or lead generated. This allows them to monetize their blog without having to create and sell their own products.
On the flip side, affiliate marketing can sometimes be seen as less authentic by readers. Some may view affiliate links as a way for bloggers to prioritize profits over providing genuine value. It's important for bloggers to strike a balance between promoting products they truly believe in and maintaining the trust of their audience.
Another consideration for bloggers is the time and effort required in managing affiliate programs. This includes researching and selecting the right products or services to promote, creating compelling content that incorporates affiliate links, and tracking and analyzing performance metrics. While the potential for income is there, it's important for bloggers to weigh the time and effort investment against the potential returns.
2. Display Ads
The second best way to monetize your poetry blog is with display ads. Ads are the internet's favorite monetization method, but they have severe drawbacks.
How to Monetize a Poetry Blog With Display Ads
Monetizing a poetry blog with display ads couldn’t be easier.
First, choose an ad network to join. Networks have traffic requirements, so here are the best ad networks to join based on your site’s page views:
- 100,000+ Visitors per month - Raptive
- 50,000+ Sessions per month - Mediavine
- < 50,000+ Visitors per month - Ezoic
NOTE: WordPress is an open-source software found on WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a premium blogging platform, but you never need to pay to install WordPress on your website, even if it’s self-hosted.
Once you’re accepted to an ad network, follow their instructions to integrate their ads into your site. They will have documentation for every type of content management service (WordPress, Joomla, Ghost, etc.).
If your chosen ad network has a dedicated accounts manager, they will guide you through getting their ads on your site.
And… that’s it. Let the ads run and wait for your deposits to hit your account.
TIP: Optimize your display ads for user experience by using your chosen network’s software settings or talking to your account manager. Keep the ads in the sidebar and footer whenever possible.
You’ll make a lot of money in the long run if you put your readers ahead of quick profit.
Display Ad Pros And Cons For Poetry Bloggers
Display ads can be a great way for poetry bloggers to monetize their websites and earn some extra income. One of the main advantages of display ads is that they are relatively easy to set up and require minimal maintenance. Once you have registered with an ad network and placed the ad code on your website, the ads will automatically appear, and you can start earning money.
Another benefit of display ads is that they can provide a steady stream of passive income. As long as your website receives a decent amount of traffic, you can expect to earn money from the ads, even if you are not actively promoting your blog or creating new content. This can be especially advantageous for poetry bloggers who may not have the time or resources to constantly create and promote new content.
However, there are also some drawbacks to consider. Display ads can sometimes be intrusive and affect the overall user experience of your blog. Visitors may find them distracting or annoying, which could lead to a decrease in engagement and a higher bounce rate. Additionally, if your blog has a minimalist or aesthetic design, display ads may disrupt the visual appeal and take away from the overall aesthetics.
Overall, display ads can be a viable monetization option for poetry bloggers, but it's important to weigh the pros and cons and consider how they align with your blogging goals and the user experience you want to provide.
3. Digital Products
Selling your own digital products is a great way to increase your earnings per visitor in the poetry niche.
A digital product is anything you can sell on your poetry blog that the customer will receive via download.
Digital Products to Sell on a Poetry Blog:
- E-book of Poetry Anthology: A collection of poems written by the blog owner, showcasing their unique style and themes.
- Printable Poetry Writing Prompts: A PDF file with creative writing prompts specifically designed to inspire and encourage poetry creation.
- Audio Poetry Recordings: High-quality MP3 files featuring the blog owner reciting their own poems, allowing readers to experience the spoken word.
- Online Poetry Course: A comprehensive online course offering lessons, exercises, and feedback to help aspiring poets improve their craft.
- Custom Poem Commissions: Personalized poems created by the blog owner for special occasions, such as birthdays, anniversaries, or weddings.
- Poetry Writing Templates: Printable templates and worksheets that guide writers through various poetic forms and structures.
- Desktop Wallpaper with Poetic Quotes: Beautifully designed wallpapers featuring inspiring quotes from famous poets, adding artistic flair to any computer screen.
- Virtual Poetry Readings: Live or recorded video sessions where the blog owner shares their poetry and engages with the audience through comments and discussions.
A lot of people search for simple checklists and guides related to different topics. They’d happily pay you for them.
Pros and Cons of Selling Digital Products for Poetry Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling digital products for poetry bloggers. On the positive side, selling digital products allows bloggers to monetize their passion and creativity. By offering digital products such as e-books, poetry collections, or even online courses, bloggers can generate income from their work.
Another advantage of selling digital products is the scalability it offers. Once the product is created, it can be sold to an unlimited number of customers without the need for physical inventory or shipping. This means that bloggers can reach a wider audience and potentially earn more revenue.
However, there are also some downsides to selling digital products. One challenge is the competition in the digital market. With numerous bloggers and poets offering their own digital products, it can be difficult to stand out and attract customers. Additionally, creating high-quality digital products requires time, effort, and technical skills, which may be a barrier for some bloggers.
Lastly, piracy and unauthorized sharing of digital products can be a concern. Unlike physical products, digital items can be easily replicated and distributed without permission. Bloggers need to implement measures to protect their work and ensure they are compensated for their efforts.
How To Monetize a Poetry Blog By Selling Digital Products
The first thing to do is create your digital product.
Look at which content your audience interacts with the most, and brainstorm digital products to help serve their search intent.
That’s what I did when I created our Ultimate Blogging Guide:
Get Your FREE 20-Page Guide To Making $1000/Day From Your Niche Blog
Then, create the product using whatever tools are at your disposal. For example, use Microsoft Word to create an ebook PDF, or Google Sheets to create interactive spreadsheets and checklists.
Next, you have to figure out how to distribute your product. The easiest way to distribute PDFs is by uploading them to your WordPress media library. Then you can give customers the link, and they can download the PDF from there.
Woocommerce can even connect to an email tool like ConvertKit, so as soon as your customer finishes their checkout, they’ll get an email with a link to their download.
TIP: You can still use Lasso to get more clicks to your digital products. Just create a Lasso display with the link pointing to your product’s sales page.
Barring any issues, you won’t have to do anything but watch your bank account grow.
4. Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize a poetry blog is by creating an email newsletter. This method allows you to build a loyal audience and engage with your readers on a more personal level. Let's explore how to monetize a poetry blog with an email newsletter and the pros and cons of email marketing for poetry bloggers.
How to Monetize a Poetry Blog with an Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize your poetry blog is by using an email newsletter. By building a loyal audience and connecting with them through regular emails, you can create opportunities for generating income. Here's how you can monetize your poetry blog with an email newsletter:
1. Build an email list: Start by encouraging your blog visitors to subscribe to your newsletter. Offer exclusive content, like unpublished poems or behind-the-scenes insights, as an incentive for them to sign up. Use email opt-in forms strategically placed on your blog to capture the attention of your readers.
2. Offer premium content: Once you have a growing list of subscribers, you can provide premium content exclusively to your email subscribers. This could include access to a members-only section of your blog, where you share your best poems or offer personalized feedback. By offering valuable content, you can entice your readers to become paying customers.
3. Collaborate with brands: As your email list grows, you can leverage your influence to collaborate with brands that align with your poetry blog's aesthetic and values. You could promote products or services related to poetry, such as books, writing tools, or even workshops. These collaborations can be mutually beneficial, allowing you to earn income while providing value to your subscribers.
Pros and Cons of Email Marketing for Poetry Bloggers
- Direct communication: Email marketing allows you to have direct and personalized communication with your audience, fostering a sense of connection and loyalty.
- Targeted promotions: With email newsletters, you can segment your subscribers and send tailored promotions or offers based on their interests, increasing the likelihood of conversion.
- Increased website traffic: By including links to your blog posts or new poetry releases in your newsletters, you can drive more traffic to your website, boosting visibility and potential monetization opportunities.
- Building a substantial email list takes time: It may take time and effort to build a significant email list, as it requires attracting and retaining subscribers who are genuinely interested in your poetry content.
- Content creation and consistency: Sending regular newsletters means consistently creating valuable content. This can be time-consuming and may require additional planning and organization.
- Potential for unsubscribes: While email newsletters can be an effective monetization method, it's important to note that some subscribers may choose to unsubscribe over time, impacting your reach and potential revenue.
5. Consulting and Coaching Services
Consulting or coaching is exchanging your expertise and time for a fee. Your customers need an expert, and you’ve proven yourself to be that expert.
As you become an authority in the industry, people will reach out to you with questions about topics they consider you an expert in.
Now, you don’t have to charge for being helpful, but you should place a dollar value on your time.
As a poetry blogger, you extensive knowledge of the industry. If a reader reaches out to you asking for help, you should get paid for that effort.
How To Monetize A Poetry Blog With Consulting Services
Monetizing a poetry blog with consulting services is similar to selling sponsored posts.
Put a “Coaching” option in your nav bar that goes to a landing page outlining your consulting services and your hourly rate. This will help head off some of the people looking for free advice.
TIP: Again, you can use Lasso to drive more clicks to your coaching pages. Just create a Display with a link to your sales page, and insert it into blog posts.
Then, wait for requests to come in, evaluate them, and propose your offer. If the customer accepts, send them an invoice using PayPal or another payment processor, and schedule the call.
Pros and Cons of Selling Consulting Services for Poetry Bloggers
Selling consulting services for poetry bloggers can be a great opportunity to share your expertise and help others in the creative community. There are several pros and cons to consider before diving into this line of work.
One of the major pros is that you can provide valuable guidance and support to aspiring poets. By offering consulting services, you can help bloggers refine their writing skills, develop their unique voice, and improve their overall content. This can be incredibly rewarding as you witness their growth and success.
Another advantage is that selling consulting services allows you to monetize your own poetry blog and turn your passion into a source of income. By leveraging your expertise, you can attract clients who are willing to pay for personalized advice and feedback on their writing. This can help you establish yourself as an authority in the poetry community.
However, it's important to consider the cons as well. Selling consulting services requires time and effort to effectively communicate and provide valuable feedback to clients. It can also be challenging to find a balance between offering support and maintaining boundaries with your clients. Additionally, the demand for consulting services in the poetry blogging niche may fluctuate, which can impact your income stability.
Supercharge your earnings with Lasso. Create no-code product Displays and Tables that convert, find and fix broken links, and gain valuable business insights with revenue analytics.Learn More
Poetry Blog Monetization FAQs
What Is The Best Way To Make Money From Poetry Blogging?
If you want to build a successful poetry blog, then affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize it. It’s the least intrusive way to make a lot of money from your site without much extra effort.
Can I Make A Full-Time Income From Poetry Blogging?
How Do I Start a Poetry Blog?
Learning how to start a poetry blog is the first best way to use your expertise to start an online business.
You need to register a domain, install WordPress, and publish great content. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it!
How Do Poetry Bloggers Get Paid?
Most poetry bloggers make money through affiliate commissions and advertising fees. Both of these monetization methods pay out one or two months after the fees have been generated.
Some poetry bloggers also sell sponsored posts, consulting services, or their own products. In these cases, a payment processor like PayPal or Stripe is necessary.
Is Poetry Blogging Easy?
Nothing worth doing is truly easy, but that doesn’t mean poetry blogging isn’t fun.
As a poetry blogger, you’ll get to go places, try new things, and meet new people. And it will be part of your business! What could be cooler than that?
Is It Worth Starting A Poetry Blog?
It’s absolutely worth it to start a poetry blog. Not only can you make a living from it, but you can also build a community and control the conversation.
Once you’re an established authority, people in poetry-related industries will take you seriously.
Final Thoughts on Monetizing a Poetry Blog
Now that you know all the different ways you can monetize your poetry blog step-by-step, I have one bonus tip for you:
Use multiple monetization methods!
Diversifying your income streams is the best way to protect your business’s future.
If you promote affiliate offers, use display ads, and sell your own products, it won’t destroy your company if Amazon cuts its commission rates again.
With this multi-tiered approach, hard work, and careful planning, you’ll be on the fast track to earning what your online business deserves.
Why You Should Trust Our Poetry Blogging Content
You may be thinking, "that's all great, but what does Lasso know about poetry blogging?"
Quite a lot, actually.
Here's why you can trust our process for building a successful poetry blog:
We've Built Wildly Successful Blogs
Lasso is built for affiliate marketers, by affiliate marketers. We're not gurus; we've walked the walk.
Our team members have built multiple blogs from the ground up, some of them earning over seven figures in revenue.
We put that experience into every guide we write, so you can trust we're giving you a process that works.
We Talk To Poetry Bloggers Every Day
Lasso's WordPress plugin is installed on over 8,000 websites, including a lot of poetry blogs.
Our team supports those bloggers every day as they create awesome content and earn lots of money.
These communications give us a bird's-eye view of what's new in the poetry industry. We take that information and use it to keep these guides as up-to-date and accurate as possible.
We're Super Nerds
We've put a lot of company focus into learning everything we can about blogging, affiliate marketing, SEO, and anything to do with online entrepreneurship.
We attend conferences, collect high-level contacts, read tons of books, and distill all of that information into our content. We pass information onto you that was previously only available to industry insiders.