So, you've got your political blog up and running, and now it's time to start making some money from it. Awesome!
Before we dive in, make sure you've got the basics down like registering a domain and setting up WordPress. Once that's done, it's time to focus on monetization.
And let me tell you, monetizing your political blog can be a lot of fun. It's like taking your blogging game to the next level!
Whether you're just starting out or you're already a political influencer, these monetization methods will help you turn your blog into a serious business. Let's dive into each one.
Why You Can Trust Our Political Blog Monetization Guide
Lasso is installed on over 8,000 websites, including many political blogs.
Our team has built multiple 7-figure blogs in a wide range of niches.
We have hands-on experience working with founders to grow and monetize their political blogs.
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the best monetization method for political bloggers because it hits the sweet spot between time investment and earning potential.
Affiliate marketing is a form of advertising where a publisher (the site owner) links to a product in their content and earns a commission from the advertiser (the affiliate program) if readers click on that link and make a purchase.
TIP: With all monetization methods, the rule of thumb is the easier it is to accomplish, the less money you can make, and vice versa.
Also, since you can add links to your existing content, it’s the perfect method for beginners. You’ve already written content, so you’ve already done the hard part.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Political Bloggers
There are several different kinds of affiliate products that can be recommended in the political blogging niche. Here are some options:
- Books: Recommending political books is a great way to earn affiliate commissions. Whether it's books on political history, biographies of influential politicians, or books on current political issues, readers are often eager to learn more through books.
- Political merchandise: Promoting political merchandise such as t-shirts, hats, bumper stickers, and buttons can be a lucrative affiliate opportunity. Many supporters love to show their political affiliation through merchandise.
- Online courses: Political blogging often attracts readers who are interested in deepening their knowledge about politics. Recommending online courses on political science, public policy, or political activism can provide valuable educational resources to your audience while earning you affiliate commissions.
- Political events and conferences: Promoting political events and conferences can be another affiliate opportunity. This could include political rallies, fundraising events, or conferences focused on specific political issues or ideologies.
- News subscriptions: Many political bloggers provide analysis and commentary on current events. Recommending news subscriptions can be a natural fit for your audience, allowing them to stay informed and supporting your blog through affiliate commissions.
These are just a few examples of the different kinds of affiliate products that can be recommended in the political blogging niche. By choosing products that align with your audience's interests and needs, you can provide value to your readers while earning income through affiliate marketing.
Once you’ve identified which products will solve problems for your readers, you need to sign up for their affiliate programs.
You should start by joining the Amazon Associates affiliate program.
Most physical products in the political niche will be available on Amazon, and the conversion rate on Amazon is insane.
Yes, Amazon’s commission rates are rough, and they only offer a 24-hour cookie duration, but the conversion rate makes up for it. Plus, you’re nearly guaranteed to get accepted into their program.
For products that aren’t available on Amazon, just Google “[Product] affiliate program,” and you’ll find their program’s signup page.
To save you some time, here are a few of the best affiliate networks for political bloggers:
Commission Rate: 8% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 7 Days
Udemy is the biggest hub of paid and free online courses on the web. With so many coureses, it has training and content in every niche possible.
Commission Rate: $0.20 - $20 Per Lead
Cookie Duration: 90 Days
Grammarly is a software suite that assists in English spelling, grammar, and more. Get up to $20 per sale as well as $0.20 per lead.
Commission Rate: Up to 45% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Coursera offers over 1,000 courses and specializations. Each course consists of pre-recorded videos, puzzles, and assignments.
TIP: We maintain a database of the best affiliate programs. Click here to see the best writing affiliate programs.
Once you’ve been approved for the product’s affiliate program, the program will give you your affiliate link, and you can start inserting it into your content.
How To Monetize A Political Blog With Affiliate Marketing
To add your link to your content, go to your post editor, highlight the relevant text, and insert the link.
Here are a few best practices for adding affiliate links to your WordPress blog:
- Add links where it’s helpful. Adding too many links to your blog posts is just like adding too many ads; it’s annoying. Add links to product titles, images, CTA buttons, and the first time you mention a product. That’s plenty.
- Disclose your links. Every blog post with affiliate links should have a disclaimer at the beginning, and every CTA or product image should also.
- Use direct sales language. When you are writing your call to action, be direct. It’s not rude to say, “Check the price” or “Buy this product today.” Being too passive makes you look unconfident.
Or, take it a step further by creating product displays.
You Can Double Your Affiliate Sales With Lasso Displays
You can create displays manually using the post editor to add links to images and buttons.
However, it can be time-consuming to create these displays and keep them updated if you’re doing it all by hand.
Luckily, monetizing your blog with affiliate links is simplified when you’re using a tool like Lasso.
Lasso makes it super easy to add links and product displays to your posts. You can add product displays to posts right from the post editor; no coding is required. It’s as simple as clicking your mouse three times.
You can also automatically import product info from retailers like Amazon. Just paste the link into the Lasso dashboard, and Lasso will populate the display with the product title, image, and price.
With all of this, remember to follow the guidelines in the affiliate program’s terms and conditions. Amazon, in particular, is pretty stringent.
But everything Lasso does is compliant with Amazon Associates’ TOS, so you never have to worry about being booted from the program.
That’s just scratching the surface of what Lasso can do to help you monetize your political blog. If you’re ready to start making a serious affiliate income from your political site, sign up for Lasso today.
A WordPress plugin that lets you add, manage, and display your affiliate links from any program, including Amazon. Increase conversions. Find new affiliate link opportunities. Earn more revenue! Less than 5 minutes to set up.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons for Political Bloggers
Affiliate marketing can be a lucrative opportunity for bloggers, but it also comes with its own set of pros and cons. One major advantage is the potential to earn passive income by promoting products or services that align with your blog's content. This allows you to monetize your blog without having to create and sell your own products.
Additionally, affiliate marketing provides bloggers with the opportunity to expand their audience and reach. By partnering with relevant brands and businesses, you can attract new readers who may be interested in the products or services you promote. This can lead to increased engagement and potentially higher revenue.
However, it's important to be mindful of the potential downsides of affiliate marketing. One drawback is that it can compromise your credibility as a blogger if you promote products or services that are irrelevant or low-quality. It's crucial to only partner with reputable brands that align with your values and maintain transparency with your audience about any affiliate relationships.
Lastly, affiliate marketing requires time and effort to be successful. It's not a get-rich-quick scheme, and you'll need to invest time in researching and selecting the right affiliate programs, creating compelling content, and tracking your results. It's important to approach affiliate marketing with a strategic mindset and be prepared to put in the necessary work to see the desired results.
2. Display Ads
The second best way to monetize your political blog is with display ads. Ads are the internet's favorite monetization method, but they have severe drawbacks.
How to Monetize a Political Blog With Display Ads
Monetizing a political blog with display ads couldn’t be easier.
First, choose an ad network to join. Networks have traffic requirements, so here are the best ad networks to join based on your site’s page views:
- 100,000+ Visitors per month - Raptive
- 50,000+ Sessions per month - Mediavine
- < 50,000+ Visitors per month - Ezoic
NOTE: WordPress is an open-source software found on WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a premium blogging platform, but you never need to pay to install WordPress on your website, even if it’s self-hosted.
Once you’re accepted to an ad network, follow their instructions to integrate their ads into your site. They will have documentation for every type of content management service (WordPress, Joomla, Ghost, etc.).
If your chosen ad network has a dedicated accounts manager, they will guide you through getting their ads on your site.
And… that’s it. Let the ads run and wait for your deposits to hit your account.
TIP: Optimize your display ads for user experience by using your chosen network’s software settings or talking to your account manager. Keep the ads in the sidebar and footer whenever possible.
You’ll make a lot of money in the long run if you put your readers ahead of quick profit.
Display Ad Pros And Cons For Political Bloggers
Display ads can be a valuable tool for political bloggers, but they also come with their fair share of pros and cons. Let's take a closer look at both sides of the coin.
On the positive side, display ads can provide a steady stream of revenue for political bloggers. By partnering with advertising networks or directly with advertisers, bloggers can earn money based on the number of ad impressions or clicks generated on their site. This can help sustain their work and allow them to continue providing valuable political content to their audience.
However, there are also some drawbacks to consider. Display ads can sometimes be seen as intrusive or distracting, potentially taking away from the user experience on a political blog. Additionally, bloggers have less control over the content and appearance of the ads, which may not always align with their own political views or the tone of their blog.
It's important for political bloggers to carefully weigh the pros and cons of display ads before implementing them on their site. While they can bring in revenue, bloggers should consider how these ads may impact their readers and the overall integrity of their blog. Finding the right balance is key to maintaining a successful and authentic political blogging experience.
3. Digital Products
Selling your own digital products is a great way to increase your earnings per visitor in the political niche.
A digital product is anything you can sell on your political blog that the customer will receive via download.
Digital products to sell on a political blog:
- E-books: In-depth guides or analyses on political topics, providing valuable insights and information.
- Infographics: Visual representations of complex political data or concepts, making it easier for readers to understand and share.
- Podcasts: Audio discussions or interviews with political experts, offering unique perspectives and analysis.
- Online courses: Interactive lessons on political campaigns, advocacy, or policy-making, equipping individuals with practical skills.
- Webinars: Live or recorded online seminars on current political issues, fostering discussions and knowledge exchange.
- Membership access: Exclusive content, such as in-depth articles or interviews, available to subscribers for a monthly fee.
- Data reports: Comprehensive research findings or statistical analyses on political trends, providing valuable insights to policymakers and analysts.
- Templates: Ready-to-use campaign materials, social media graphics, or policy proposal templates, saving time for political activists and candidates.
- Merchandise: Branded political merchandise, such as t-shirts, mugs, or stickers, allowing supporters to show their affiliation.
A lot of people search for simple checklists and guides related to different topics. They’d happily pay you for them.
Pros and Cons of Selling Digital Products for Political Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling digital products as a political blogger. On the positive side, selling digital products can be a great way to monetize your blog and generate income. By creating and selling ebooks, online courses, or exclusive content, you can offer valuable resources to your audience while also earning money.
Another advantage of selling digital products is that they can help you establish yourself as an expert in your niche. When people purchase your products and find value in them, they are more likely to view you as a credible source of information and trust your opinions and recommendations.
However, there are also some drawbacks to selling digital products. One of the main challenges is creating high-quality and valuable content that people are willing to pay for. It requires a significant amount of time, effort, and expertise to develop products that stand out in a crowded marketplace.
Additionally, selling digital products may require you to invest in marketing and advertising to reach a wider audience. This can be time-consuming and may require additional skills or resources that you need to acquire.
How To Monetize a Political Blog By Selling Digital Products
The first thing to do is create your digital product.
Look at which content your audience interacts with the most, and brainstorm digital products to help serve their search intent.
That’s what I did when I created our Ultimate Blogging Guide:
Get Your FREE 20-Page Guide To Making $1000/Day From Your Niche Blog
Then, create the product using whatever tools are at your disposal. For example, use Microsoft Word to create an ebook PDF, or Google Sheets to create interactive spreadsheets and checklists.
Next, you have to figure out how to distribute your product. The easiest way to distribute PDFs is by uploading them to your WordPress media library. Then you can give customers the link, and they can download the PDF from there.
Woocommerce can even connect to an email tool like ConvertKit, so as soon as your customer finishes their checkout, they’ll get an email with a link to their download.
TIP: You can still use Lasso to get more clicks to your digital products. Just create a Lasso display with the link pointing to your product’s sales page.
Barring any issues, you won’t have to do anything but watch your bank account grow.
4. Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize a political blog is by creating an email newsletter. This method allows you to build a loyal audience and engage with your readers on a more personal level. Let's explore how to monetize a political blog with an email newsletter and the pros and cons of email marketing for political bloggers.
An email newsletter is a powerful tool for political bloggers to monetize their blogs. It allows you to build a loyal audience and establish yourself as an authority in your niche. With an email newsletter, you can directly connect with your readers, promote your content, and generate revenue through various monetization strategies.
How to Monetize a Political Blog with an Email Newsletter
1. Offer exclusive content: Provide your email subscribers with exclusive articles, analysis, or behind-the-scenes insights that are not available on your blog. This creates a sense of exclusivity and encourages readers to subscribe to your newsletter.
2. Affiliate marketing: Recommend relevant products, books, or services to your subscribers and earn a commission for each purchase made through your affiliate links. Political bloggers can promote books written by politicians, campaign merchandise, or even online courses on political activism.
3. Sponsored content: Collaborate with political organizations, candidates, or advocacy groups to feature sponsored content in your newsletter. This can include advertisements, sponsored articles, or endorsements. Ensure that the sponsored content aligns with your blog's values and resonates with your audience.
4. Donations and crowdfunding: Use your newsletter to appeal to your readers for donations or crowdfunding campaigns to support your blogging efforts. Political bloggers often rely on the support of their audience to continue their work and make a difference.
Pros and Cons of Email Marketing for Political Bloggers
- Direct and personal communication: Email newsletters allow you to directly communicate with your audience, building a personal connection and fostering loyalty.
- Targeted reach: With email marketing, you can segment your subscribers based on their interests, location, or political affiliations. This enables you to tailor your content and promotions specifically for different segments of your audience.
- Cost-effective: Email marketing is relatively affordable compared to other advertising methods. It allows you to reach a large audience without breaking the bank.
- Building a subscriber list: Initially, it may take time and effort to build a substantial email subscriber list. However, offering valuable content and incentives can help attract more subscribers.
- Email deliverability: There is a possibility that your emails may end up in spam folders or go unnoticed due to inbox clutter. It's important to optimize your email deliverability by using reputable email service providers and adhering to best practices.
- Unsubscribes and inactive subscribers: Some subscribers may lose interest over time or become inactive. Regularly cleaning your subscriber list and focusing on engaging and retaining active subscribers can help mitigate this issue.
5. Consulting and Coaching Services
Consulting or coaching is exchanging your expertise and time for a fee. Your customers need an expert, and you’ve proven yourself to be that expert.
As you become an authority in the industry, people will reach out to you with questions about topics they consider you an expert in.
Now, you don’t have to charge for being helpful, but you should place a dollar value on your time.
As a political blogger, you extensive knowledge of the industry. If a reader reaches out to you asking for help, you should get paid for that effort.
How To Monetize A Political Blog With Consulting Services
Monetizing a political blog with consulting services is similar to selling sponsored posts.
Put a “Coaching” option in your nav bar that goes to a landing page outlining your consulting services and your hourly rate. This will help head off some of the people looking for free advice.
TIP: Again, you can use Lasso to drive more clicks to your coaching pages. Just create a Display with a link to your sales page, and insert it into blog posts.
Then, wait for requests to come in, evaluate them, and propose your offer. If the customer accepts, send them an invoice using PayPal or another payment processor, and schedule the call.
Pros and Cons of Selling Consulting Services for Political Bloggers
There are both pros and cons to selling consulting services for political bloggers. On the positive side, offering consulting services allows political bloggers to monetize their expertise and knowledge in the field. By providing strategic guidance and insights to other bloggers or aspiring influencers, they can establish themselves as thought leaders and build a reputation in the industry.
Consulting services also offer political bloggers the opportunity to expand their network and connect with like-minded individuals. Through client collaborations and partnerships, they can gain exposure to new audiences and potentially attract more readers to their own blog. Additionally, consulting can provide a steady source of income and financial stability, especially for bloggers who may struggle to generate sufficient revenue through traditional advertising or sponsored content.
However, it is important to consider the potential drawbacks of selling consulting services as a political blogger. Taking on consulting work can be time-consuming and may divert attention and resources away from creating content for one's own blog. Bloggers need to strike a balance between their consulting commitments and maintaining the quality and consistency of their own platform.
Furthermore, there is the risk of conflicts of interest when working with clients. Political bloggers must carefully navigate potential conflicts and ensure that their consulting work does not compromise their integrity or independence. Transparency and clear communication are essential in managing these challenges and maintaining the trust of their audience.
Supercharge your earnings with Lasso. Create no-code product Displays and Tables that convert, find and fix broken links, and gain valuable business insights with revenue analytics.Learn More
Political Blog Monetization FAQs
What Is The Best Way To Make Money From Political Blogging?
If you want to build a successful political blog, then affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize it. It’s the least intrusive way to make a lot of money from your site without much extra effort.
Can I Make A Full-Time Income From Political Blogging?
How Do I Start a Political Blog?
Learning how to start a political blog is the first best way to use your expertise to start an online business.
You need to register a domain, install WordPress, and publish great content. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it!
How Do Political Bloggers Get Paid?
Most political bloggers make money through affiliate commissions and advertising fees. Both of these monetization methods pay out one or two months after the fees have been generated.
Some political bloggers also sell sponsored posts, consulting services, or their own products. In these cases, a payment processor like PayPal or Stripe is necessary.
Is Political Blogging Easy?
Nothing worth doing is truly easy, but that doesn’t mean political blogging isn’t fun.
As a political blogger, you’ll get to go places, try new things, and meet new people. And it will be part of your business! What could be cooler than that?
Is It Worth Starting A Political Blog?
It’s absolutely worth it to start a political blog. Not only can you make a living from it, but you can also build a community and control the conversation.
Once you’re an established authority, people in political-related industries will take you seriously.
Final Thoughts on Monetizing a Political Blog
So now you know all the different ways you can make money from your political blog, step-by-step. But here's one more tip for you:
Try using multiple methods to monetize!
Diversifying your income sources is the best way to protect your blog's future.
By promoting affiliate offers, using display ads, and selling your own products, you won't be completely dependent on one source of revenue.
So even if Amazon cuts its commission rates again, it won't be a disaster for your business.
With this multi-tiered approach, hard work, and careful planning, you'll be on the fast track to earning what your political blog truly deserves.
Why You Should Trust Our Political Blogging Content
You may be thinking, "that's all great, but what does Lasso know about political blogging?"
Quite a lot, actually.
Here's why you can trust our process for building a successful political blog:
We've Built Wildly Successful Blogs
Lasso is built for affiliate marketers, by affiliate marketers. We're not gurus; we've walked the walk.
Our team members have built multiple blogs from the ground up, some of them earning over seven figures in revenue.
We put that experience into every guide we write, so you can trust we're giving you a process that works.
We Talk To Political Bloggers Every Day
Lasso's WordPress plugin is installed on over 8,000 websites, including a lot of political blogs.
Our team supports those bloggers every day as they create awesome content and earn lots of money.
These communications give us a bird's-eye view of what's new in the political industry. We take that information and use it to keep these guides as up-to-date and accurate as possible.
We're Super Nerds
We've put a lot of company focus into learning everything we can about blogging, affiliate marketing, SEO, and anything to do with online entrepreneurship.
We attend conferences, collect high-level contacts, read tons of books, and distill all of that information into our content. We pass information onto you that was previously only available to industry insiders.