So you've started your weight loss blog, and now it's time to start making some money. Once you've got the basics down, monetizing your blog can be a lot of fun!
Whether you're just starting out or you're already a weight loss influencer, these methods will help turn your blog into a full-time business. Let's dive in and see how to make it happen.
Why You Can Trust Our Weight Loss Blog Monetization Guide
Lasso is installed on over 8,000 websites, including many weight loss blogs.
Our team has built multiple 7-figure blogs in a wide range of niches.
We have hands-on experience working with founders to grow and monetize their weight loss blogs.
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the best monetization method for weight loss bloggers because it hits the sweet spot between time investment and earning potential.
Affiliate marketing is a form of advertising where a publisher (the site owner) links to a product in their content and earns a commission from the advertiser (the affiliate program) if readers click on that link and make a purchase.
TIP: With all monetization methods, the rule of thumb is the easier it is to accomplish, the less money you can make, and vice versa.
Also, since you can add links to your existing content, it’s the perfect method for beginners. You’ve already written content, so you’ve already done the hard part.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Weight Loss Bloggers
When it comes to recommending affiliate products in the weight loss blogging niche, there are several options to consider. Here are some different kinds of affiliate products that you can recommend:
- Diet and meal plans: These can include customized meal plans, calorie tracking apps, and recipe books. They provide structure and guidance for individuals looking to lose weight.
- Weight loss supplements: From appetite suppressants to fat burners, weight loss supplements can help individuals reach their goals faster. However, it's important to emphasize the importance of a balanced diet and exercise alongside these supplements.
- Exercise equipment: Recommending exercise equipment like treadmills, stationary bikes, or resistance bands can be beneficial for individuals who prefer working out at home. Make sure to highlight the versatility and effectiveness of the equipment.
- Fitness apparel and accessories: Recommending comfortable workout clothes, supportive shoes, and fitness trackers can enhance the overall weight loss journey and motivate individuals to stay active.
- Cooking utensils and kitchen gadgets: Encourage your readers to invest in tools that make healthy cooking easier, such as air fryers, juicers, or food scales.
- Online fitness programs and memberships: Recommending online platforms that offer workout videos, personalized coaching, or community support can give your readers access to professional guidance and motivation.
- Healthy snacks and food delivery services: Suggesting subscription boxes or snack brands that offer nutritious options can help your readers stay on track with their weight loss goals while enjoying tasty treats.
By recommending these different kinds of affiliate products, you can provide valuable resources and solutions to your weight loss blogging audience, helping them achieve their desired results.
Once you’ve identified which products will solve problems for your readers, you need to sign up for their affiliate programs.
You should start by joining the Amazon Associates affiliate program.
Most physical products in the weight loss niche will be available on Amazon, and the conversion rate on Amazon is insane.
Yes, Amazon’s commission rates are rough, and they only offer a 24-hour cookie duration, but the conversion rate makes up for it. Plus, you’re nearly guaranteed to get accepted into their program.
For products that aren’t available on Amazon, just Google “[Product] affiliate program,” and you’ll find their program’s signup page.
To save you some time, here are a few of the best affiliate networks for weight loss bloggers:
Commission Rate: $15 Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Fraser Wilson is an author of online training and nutritional plans which help people transform their bodies.
Commission Rate: $50 Per Lead
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Money is a great motivator so why not get paid to lose those extra pounds? That’s what HealthyWage does. Enter your information and see what you'd win.
Commission Rate: $36 Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
bistroMD combines a love for great-tasting real food with the unique knowledge that food is medicine. Get $45 commission per sale by new customers.
TIP: We maintain a database of the best affiliate programs. Click here to see the best weight loss affiliate programs.
Once you’ve been approved for the product’s affiliate program, the program will give you your affiliate link, and you can start inserting it into your content.
How To Monetize A Weight Loss Blog With Affiliate Marketing
To add your link to your content, go to your post editor, highlight the relevant text, and insert the link.
Here are a few best practices for adding affiliate links to your WordPress blog:
- Add links where it’s helpful. Adding too many links to your blog posts is just like adding too many ads; it’s annoying. Add links to product titles, images, CTA buttons, and the first time you mention a product. That’s plenty.
- Disclose your links. Every blog post with affiliate links should have a disclaimer at the beginning, and every CTA or product image should also.
- Use direct sales language. When you are writing your call to action, be direct. It’s not rude to say, “Check the price” or “Buy this product today.” Being too passive makes you look unconfident.
Or, take it a step further by creating product displays.
You Can Double Your Affiliate Sales With Lasso Displays
You can create displays manually using the post editor to add links to images and buttons.
However, it can be time-consuming to create these displays and keep them updated if you’re doing it all by hand.
Luckily, monetizing your blog with affiliate links is simplified when you’re using a tool like Lasso.
Lasso makes it super easy to add links and product displays to your posts. You can add product displays to posts right from the post editor; no coding is required. It’s as simple as clicking your mouse three times.
You can also automatically import product info from retailers like Amazon. Just paste the link into the Lasso dashboard, and Lasso will populate the display with the product title, image, and price.
With all of this, remember to follow the guidelines in the affiliate program’s terms and conditions. Amazon, in particular, is pretty stringent.
But everything Lasso does is compliant with Amazon Associates’ TOS, so you never have to worry about being booted from the program.
That’s just scratching the surface of what Lasso can do to help you monetize your weight loss blog. If you’re ready to start making a serious affiliate income from your weight loss site, sign up for Lasso today.
A WordPress plugin that lets you add, manage, and display your affiliate links from any program, including Amazon. Increase conversions. Find new affiliate link opportunities. Earn more revenue! Less than 5 minutes to set up.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons for Weight Loss Bloggers
Affiliate marketing can be a lucrative opportunity for weight loss bloggers, but it also comes with its own set of pros and cons. Let's take a closer look at what you should consider before diving into affiliate marketing for your weight loss blog.
One of the biggest advantages of affiliate marketing is that it allows you to earn passive income. By promoting products or services related to weight loss, you can earn a commission for every sale made through your affiliate links. This means that even when you're not actively working on your blog, you can still make money.
However, it's important to keep in mind that affiliate marketing requires a lot of time and effort. You need to research and choose the right products or services to promote, create engaging content that persuades your audience to make a purchase, and continuously monitor and optimize your affiliate links to maximize your earnings.
Another potential downside is that some readers may view affiliate marketing as being biased or selling out. It's crucial to maintain transparency and only promote products or services that you genuinely believe in and have tested yourself. Building trust with your audience is key to successful affiliate marketing.
2. Display Ads
The second best way to monetize your weight loss blog is with display ads. Ads are the internet's favorite monetization method, but they have severe drawbacks.
How to Monetize a Weight Loss Blog With Display Ads
Monetizing a weight loss blog with display ads couldn’t be easier.
First, choose an ad network to join. Networks have traffic requirements, so here are the best ad networks to join based on your site’s page views:
- 100,000+ Visitors per month - Raptive
- 50,000+ Sessions per month - Mediavine
- < 50,000+ Visitors per month - Ezoic
NOTE: WordPress is an open-source software found on WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a premium blogging platform, but you never need to pay to install WordPress on your website, even if it’s self-hosted.
Once you’re accepted to an ad network, follow their instructions to integrate their ads into your site. They will have documentation for every type of content management service (WordPress, Joomla, Ghost, etc.).
If your chosen ad network has a dedicated accounts manager, they will guide you through getting their ads on your site.
And… that’s it. Let the ads run and wait for your deposits to hit your account.
TIP: Optimize your display ads for user experience by using your chosen network’s software settings or talking to your account manager. Keep the ads in the sidebar and footer whenever possible.
You’ll make a lot of money in the long run if you put your readers ahead of quick profit.
Display Ad Pros And Cons For Weight Loss Bloggers
Display ads can be a valuable tool for weight loss bloggers to monetize their websites and generate income. One of the main advantages of display ads is that they are relatively easy to set up and require minimal effort to maintain. Once you have signed up with an ad network, the ads will be automatically displayed on your blog, allowing you to focus on creating content.
Another benefit of display ads is that they offer a passive income stream. As long as your blog receives a steady flow of traffic, you can earn money from the ads displayed on your site without actively promoting products or services. This can be particularly advantageous for weight loss bloggers who may not have the time or resources to constantly create and sell their own products.
However, it's important to consider the potential drawbacks of display ads as well. One of the main concerns is that they can be intrusive and disrupt the user experience on your blog. Ads may slow down the loading speed of your site and distract readers from your content. It's essential to strike a balance between monetization and providing a positive user experience.
Additionally, display ads may not always align with the values and goals of your weight loss blog. You have little control over the specific ads that are displayed, and they may promote products or services that contradict your message. It's crucial to carefully review the ad network's policies and choose one that aligns with your brand to avoid potential conflicts.
3. Digital Products
Selling your own digital products is a great way to increase your earnings per visitor in the weight loss niche.
A digital product is anything you can sell on your weight loss blog that the customer will receive via download.
Digital products to sell on a weight loss blog:
- Meal plans: Provide detailed meal plans tailored to different dietary needs and weight loss goals.
- Recipe eBooks: Offer digital cookbooks with healthy and delicious recipes for weight loss.
- Workout guides: Create downloadable workout guides that include various exercises and routines for different fitness levels.
- Progress trackers: Develop digital tools or apps to help users track their weight loss progress, measurements, and goals.
- Nutrition guides: Offer comprehensive guides on healthy eating, portion control, and understanding food labels.
- Mindfulness and meditation programs: Provide audio or video programs to help users develop a positive mindset and manage stress for successful weight loss.
- Online coaching programs: Offer personalized coaching services through video calls, email consultations, or group support.
- Weight loss challenges: Organize digital challenges that provide participants with daily tasks, tips, and motivation to achieve their weight loss goals.
- Educational webinars: Host live or pre-recorded webinars where experts share knowledge on nutrition, fitness, and sustainable weight loss strategies.
- Healthy lifestyle eBooks: Create digital books that cover various aspects of a healthy lifestyle, including sleep, stress management, and self-care.
A lot of people search for simple checklists and guides related to different topics. They’d happily pay you for them.
Pros and Cons of Selling Digital Products for Weight Loss Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling digital products as a weight loss blogger. Let's start with the pros.
One of the biggest advantages is the potential for passive income. Once you create and launch a digital product, like an e-book or online course, you can continue to sell it without much additional effort. This means you can earn money while you sleep!
Another pro is the scalability of digital products. Unlike physical products, there are no inventory limits or shipping costs. You can sell your digital products to an unlimited number of people, allowing you to reach a wider audience and potentially increase your earnings.
On the flip side, there are some cons to selling digital products as well. One of the main challenges is competition. The weight loss industry is saturated with digital products, so you'll need to find a unique angle or niche to stand out from the crowd.
How To Monetize a Weight Loss Blog By Selling Digital Products
The first thing to do is create your digital product.
Look at which content your audience interacts with the most, and brainstorm digital products to help serve their search intent.
That’s what I did when I created our Ultimate Blogging Guide:
Get Your FREE 20-Page Guide To Making $1000/Day From Your Niche Blog
Then, create the product using whatever tools are at your disposal. For example, use Microsoft Word to create an ebook PDF, or Google Sheets to create interactive spreadsheets and checklists.
Next, you have to figure out how to distribute your product. The easiest way to distribute PDFs is by uploading them to your WordPress media library. Then you can give customers the link, and they can download the PDF from there.
Woocommerce can even connect to an email tool like ConvertKit, so as soon as your customer finishes their checkout, they’ll get an email with a link to their download.
TIP: You can still use Lasso to get more clicks to your digital products. Just create a Lasso display with the link pointing to your product’s sales page.
Barring any issues, you won’t have to do anything but watch your bank account grow.
4. Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize a weight loss blog is by creating an email newsletter. This method allows you to build a loyal audience and engage with your readers on a more personal level. Let's explore how to monetize a weight loss blog with an email newsletter and the pros and cons of email marketing for weight loss bloggers.
An email newsletter is a valuable tool for weight loss bloggers to monetize their blogs. It allows you to connect with your audience on a personal level and build a loyal following. With an email newsletter, you can share exclusive content, provide valuable tips and advice, and promote products or services related to weight loss.
How to Monetize a Weight Loss Blog with an Email Newsletter
To monetize your weight loss blog with an email newsletter, follow these steps:
1. Build a Subscribers List: Create a signup form on your blog where visitors can enter their email addresses. Offer an incentive, such as a free e-book or a weekly meal plan, to encourage sign-ups.
2. Provide Valuable Content: Send regular newsletters with helpful weight loss tips, healthy recipes, workout routines, and success stories. Make sure your content is engaging and relevant to your audience's weight loss goals.
3. Promote Affiliate Products: Include affiliate links to weight loss products or programs that you personally recommend. When a subscriber makes a purchase through your link, you earn a commission.
4. Offer Exclusive Discounts and Deals: Partner with weight loss brands to offer exclusive discounts and deals to your subscribers. This not only adds value to your newsletter but also gives you the opportunity to earn affiliate commissions.
Pros and Cons of Email Marketing for Weight Loss Bloggers
- Direct Communication: Email newsletters allow you to communicate directly with your audience, building a personal connection and increasing trust.
- Targeted Marketing: You can segment your email list based on demographics, interests, or engagement levels, allowing you to deliver highly targeted promotions.
- High Conversion Rates: Email marketing consistently delivers one of the highest conversion rates among digital marketing channels.
- Building an Email List Takes Time: It may take some time and effort to build a substantial email list of engaged subscribers.
- Email Deliverability Issues: Sometimes, newsletters may end up in spam folders or not be delivered at all, affecting the reach of your message.
- Compliance with Anti-Spam Laws: It's crucial to comply with anti-spam laws and obtain permission from subscribers to send them promotional emails.
5. Consulting and Coaching Services
Consulting or coaching is exchanging your expertise and time for a fee. Your customers need an expert, and you’ve proven yourself to be that expert.
As you become an authority in the industry, people will reach out to you with questions about topics they consider you an expert in.
Now, you don’t have to charge for being helpful, but you should place a dollar value on your time.
As a weight loss blogger, you extensive knowledge of the industry. If a reader reaches out to you asking for help, you should get paid for that effort.
How To Monetize A Weight Loss Blog With Consulting Services
Monetizing a weight loss blog with consulting services is similar to selling sponsored posts.
Put a “Coaching” option in your nav bar that goes to a landing page outlining your consulting services and your hourly rate. This will help head off some of the people looking for free advice.
TIP: Again, you can use Lasso to drive more clicks to your coaching pages. Just create a Display with a link to your sales page, and insert it into blog posts.
Then, wait for requests to come in, evaluate them, and propose your offer. If the customer accepts, send them an invoice using PayPal or another payment processor, and schedule the call.
Pros and Cons of Selling Consulting Services for Weight Loss Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when selling consulting services for weight loss bloggers. Let's start with the pros. Firstly, as a consultant, you can provide personalized guidance and support to bloggers, helping them achieve their weight loss goals effectively. This one-on-one interaction allows you to tailor your advice to their specific needs, making your services invaluable.
Secondly, by offering consulting services, you can establish yourself as an expert in the weight loss industry. This can lead to increased credibility and recognition, attracting more clients and opportunities. Additionally, as a consultant, you have the flexibility to set your own rates and schedule, giving you the freedom to work on your own terms.
However, it's important to consider the cons as well. One challenge you may face is the need to constantly stay updated with the latest research and trends in weight loss. This requires continuous learning and staying abreast of new developments in the field. Additionally, working as a consultant means you may need to deal with clients who may not always be motivated or committed to their weight loss journey, which can be frustrating.
In conclusion, selling consulting services for weight loss bloggers can be a rewarding venture. It allows you to provide personalized support and establish yourself as an expert in the industry. However, it also comes with challenges such as the need for ongoing education and dealing with unmotivated clients. Overall, it's important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding if this is the right path for you.
Supercharge your earnings with Lasso. Create no-code product Displays and Tables that convert, find and fix broken links, and gain valuable business insights with revenue analytics.Learn More
Weight Loss Blog Monetization FAQs
What Is The Best Way To Make Money From Weight Loss Blogging?
If you want to build a successful weight loss blog, then affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize it. It’s the least intrusive way to make a lot of money from your site without much extra effort.
Can I Make A Full-Time Income From Weight Loss Blogging?
How Do I Start a Weight Loss Blog?
Learning how to start a weight loss blog is the first best way to use your expertise to start an online business.
You need to register a domain, install WordPress, and publish great content. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it!
How Do Weight Loss Bloggers Get Paid?
Most weight loss bloggers make money through affiliate commissions and advertising fees. Both of these monetization methods pay out one or two months after the fees have been generated.
Some weight loss bloggers also sell sponsored posts, consulting services, or their own products. In these cases, a payment processor like PayPal or Stripe is necessary.
Is Weight Loss Blogging Easy?
Nothing worth doing is truly easy, but that doesn’t mean weight loss blogging isn’t fun.
As a weight loss blogger, you’ll get to go places, try new things, and meet new people. And it will be part of your business! What could be cooler than that?
Is It Worth Starting A Weight Loss Blog?
It’s absolutely worth it to start a weight loss blog. Not only can you make a living from it, but you can also build a community and control the conversation.
Once you’re an established authority, people in weight loss-related industries will take you seriously.
Final Thoughts on Monetizing a Weight Loss Blog
So now you've got all the ways to make money from your weight loss blog, step-by-step. But here's a bonus tip for you:
Try using multiple ways to make money!
By having different sources of income, you're protecting your business's future.
If you do affiliate marketing, display ads, and sell your own stuff, you won't be devastated if Amazon lowers its commission rates again.
With this approach, hard work, and smart planning, you'll be well on your way to earning what your online business truly deserves.
Why You Should Trust Our Weight Loss Blogging Content
You may be thinking, "that's all great, but what does Lasso know about weight loss blogging?"
Quite a lot, actually.
Here's why you can trust our process for building a successful weight loss blog:
We've Built Wildly Successful Blogs
Lasso is built for affiliate marketers, by affiliate marketers. We're not gurus; we've walked the walk.
Our team members have built multiple blogs from the ground up, some of them earning over seven figures in revenue.
We put that experience into every guide we write, so you can trust we're giving you a process that works.
We Talk To Weight Loss Bloggers Every Day
Lasso's WordPress plugin is installed on over 8,000 websites, including a lot of weight loss blogs.
Our team supports those bloggers every day as they create awesome content and earn lots of money.
These communications give us a bird's-eye view of what's new in the weight loss industry. We take that information and use it to keep these guides as up-to-date and accurate as possible.
We're Super Nerds
We've put a lot of company focus into learning everything we can about blogging, affiliate marketing, SEO, and anything to do with online entrepreneurship.
We attend conferences, collect high-level contacts, read tons of books, and distill all of that information into our content. We pass information onto you that was previously only available to industry insiders.