So you've started a pet blog and now you want to make some money from it, huh? Well, the good news is that it's totally doable!
Once you've nailed down the basics of blogging, it's time to focus on monetization. And trust me, this part is a blast!
Whether you're a newbie blogger or a seasoned pet influencer, these monetization methods will help you turn your blog into a booming business. Let's dive into each one, shall we?
Why You Can Trust Our Pet Blog Monetization Guide
Lasso is installed on over 8,000 websites, including many pet blogs.
Our team has built multiple 7-figure blogs in a wide range of niches.
We have hands-on experience working with founders to grow and monetize their pet blogs.
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the best monetization method for pet bloggers because it hits the sweet spot between time investment and earning potential.
Affiliate marketing is a form of advertising where a publisher (the site owner) links to a product in their content and earns a commission from the advertiser (the affiliate program) if readers click on that link and make a purchase.
TIP: With all monetization methods, the rule of thumb is the easier it is to accomplish, the less money you can make, and vice versa.
Also, since you can add links to your existing content, it’s the perfect method for beginners. You’ve already written content, so you’ve already done the hard part.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Pet Bloggers
When it comes to recommending affiliate products in the pet blogging niche, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are some different kinds of affiliate products that can be recommended:
- Pet food: Recommending high-quality pet food brands can be a great affiliate product for pet bloggers. Pet owners are always looking for nutritious options for their furry friends.
- Pet toys: Interactive toys, chew toys, and puzzle toys are popular among pet owners. Recommending these toys can not only provide entertainment for pets but also generate affiliate income.
- Pet grooming products: From shampoos and conditioners to brushes and nail clippers, pet grooming products are essential for maintaining a pet's hygiene. Recommending trusted grooming brands can be beneficial for both pet owners and bloggers.
- Pet accessories: Collars, leashes, pet beds, and clothing are just a few examples of pet accessories that can be recommended. Pet owners love to pamper their pets, and suggesting trendy and functional accessories can be lucrative.
- Pet health supplements: Many pet owners are concerned about their pets' health and well-being. Recommending natural supplements or vitamins that promote pet health can be valuable for both the pets and their owners.
There are several reasons why recommending these affiliate products in the pet blogging niche can be advantageous:
- Demand: The pet industry is booming, and pet owners are always on the lookout for quality products for their pets.
- Passionate audience: Pet owners are passionate about their furry friends, and they actively seek recommendations from trusted sources.
- Recurring purchases: Many pet products, such as food and grooming supplies, require regular replenishment. This can lead to recurring affiliate commissions for the blogger.
- Wide range of options: From budget-friendly to high-end products, there is a wide range of options available in the pet industry, allowing bloggers to cater to different audience preferences.
- Opportunity for creativity: Pet bloggers can create engaging content around these affiliate products, such as product reviews, tutorials, and gift guides, adding value to their audience.
Once you’ve identified which products will solve problems for your readers, you need to sign up for their affiliate programs.
You should start by joining the Amazon Associates affiliate program.
Most physical products in the pet niche will be available on Amazon, and the conversion rate on Amazon is insane.
Yes, Amazon’s commission rates are rough, and they only offer a 24-hour cookie duration, but the conversion rate makes up for it. Plus, you’re nearly guaranteed to get accepted into their program.
For products that aren’t available on Amazon, just Google “[Product] affiliate program,” and you’ll find their program’s signup page.
To save you some time, here are a few of the best affiliate networks for pet bloggers:
Commission Rate: 20% - 40% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Innovet Pet is a pet supplement marketplace full of specialized products designed to fit the unique needs of different pets.
Commission Rate: $15 Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 15 Days
Chewy has everything you need for your pet at amazing prices, every day. Explore more than 1,000 favorite brands, all from the comfort of home.
Commission Rate: 2% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 7 Days
Petco is a big, general pet supplies retailer. Join their affiliate program with a 2% commission and 7-day cookie duration.
TIP: We maintain a database of the best affiliate programs. Click here to see the best pet affiliate programs.
Once you’ve been approved for the product’s affiliate program, the program will give you your affiliate link, and you can start inserting it into your content.
How To Monetize A Pet Blog With Affiliate Marketing
To add your link to your content, go to your post editor, highlight the relevant text, and insert the link.
Here are a few best practices for adding affiliate links to your WordPress blog:
- Add links where it’s helpful. Adding too many links to your blog posts is just like adding too many ads; it’s annoying. Add links to product titles, images, CTA buttons, and the first time you mention a product. That’s plenty.
- Disclose your links. Every blog post with affiliate links should have a disclaimer at the beginning, and every CTA or product image should also.
- Use direct sales language. When you are writing your call to action, be direct. It’s not rude to say, “Check the price” or “Buy this product today.” Being too passive makes you look unconfident.
Or, take it a step further by creating product displays.
You Can Double Your Affiliate Sales With Lasso Displays
You can create displays manually using the post editor to add links to images and buttons.
However, it can be time-consuming to create these displays and keep them updated if you’re doing it all by hand.
Luckily, monetizing your blog with affiliate links is simplified when you’re using a tool like Lasso.
Lasso makes it super easy to add links and product displays to your posts. You can add product displays to posts right from the post editor; no coding is required. It’s as simple as clicking your mouse three times.
You can also automatically import product info from retailers like Amazon. Just paste the link into the Lasso dashboard, and Lasso will populate the display with the product title, image, and price.
With all of this, remember to follow the guidelines in the affiliate program’s terms and conditions. Amazon, in particular, is pretty stringent.
But everything Lasso does is compliant with Amazon Associates’ TOS, so you never have to worry about being booted from the program.
That’s just scratching the surface of what Lasso can do to help you monetize your pet blog. If you’re ready to start making a serious affiliate income from your pet site, sign up for Lasso today.
A WordPress plugin that lets you add, manage, and display your affiliate links from any program, including Amazon. Increase conversions. Find new affiliate link opportunities. Earn more revenue! Less than 5 minutes to set up.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons for Pet Bloggers
Affiliate marketing can be a great opportunity for pet bloggers to monetize their content and earn passive income. However, like any other form of marketing, it comes with its pros and cons.
One of the major benefits of affiliate marketing for pet bloggers is the potential for high earnings. By promoting products or services related to pets, bloggers can earn a commission for every sale made through their affiliate links. This can be especially lucrative if the blog has a large and engaged audience.
Another advantage of affiliate marketing is the flexibility it offers. Pet bloggers can choose the products or services they want to promote, aligning them with their niche and audience's interests. This allows bloggers to maintain the authenticity of their content while still earning money.
However, it's important for pet bloggers to be aware of the potential downsides of affiliate marketing. One of the cons is the need for continuous promotion and monitoring. Bloggers need to consistently create quality content and promote their affiliate links to maximize their earnings. Additionally, there is always the risk of promoting products that may not meet the expectations of their audience, which could harm their credibility.
2. Display Ads
The second best way to monetize your pet blog is with display ads. Ads are the internet's favorite monetization method, but they have severe drawbacks.
How to Monetize a Pet Blog With Display Ads
Monetizing a pet blog with display ads couldn’t be easier.
First, choose an ad network to join. Networks have traffic requirements, so here are the best ad networks to join based on your site’s page views:
- 100,000+ Visitors per month - Raptive
- 50,000+ Sessions per month - Mediavine
- < 50,000+ Visitors per month - Ezoic
NOTE: WordPress is an open-source software found on WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a premium blogging platform, but you never need to pay to install WordPress on your website, even if it’s self-hosted.
Once you’re accepted to an ad network, follow their instructions to integrate their ads into your site. They will have documentation for every type of content management service (WordPress, Joomla, Ghost, etc.).
If your chosen ad network has a dedicated accounts manager, they will guide you through getting their ads on your site.
And… that’s it. Let the ads run and wait for your deposits to hit your account.
TIP: Optimize your display ads for user experience by using your chosen network’s software settings or talking to your account manager. Keep the ads in the sidebar and footer whenever possible.
You’ll make a lot of money in the long run if you put your readers ahead of quick profit.
Display Ad Pros And Cons For Pet Bloggers
Display ads can be a valuable tool for pet bloggers to monetize their websites and generate income. One of the main advantages of display ads is that they are relatively easy to set up and require minimal maintenance. Once the ads are in place, bloggers can earn money whenever visitors click on the ads or make a purchase through them.
However, there are some drawbacks to consider. Display ads can sometimes be intrusive and distract from the overall user experience of the blog. They may also slow down the loading speed of the website, which can frustrate visitors and potentially lead to a higher bounce rate.
Another important factor to consider is the relevance of the ads to the blog's audience. If the ads displayed are not aligned with the interests and needs of pet owners, they may not generate much engagement or revenue. Bloggers should carefully choose the ad network they work with to ensure that the ads shown are relevant and appealing to their target audience.
In conclusion, while display ads can provide a source of income for pet bloggers, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before implementing them. By considering factors such as user experience, website speed, and ad relevance, bloggers can make informed decisions about whether or not to incorporate display ads into their monetization strategy.
3. Digital Products
Selling your own digital products is a great way to increase your earnings per visitor in the pet niche.
A digital product is anything you can sell on your pet blog that the customer will receive via download.
Digital products to sell on a pet blog:
- Pet training guides: Easy-to-follow digital guides on training dogs, cats, or other pets.
- Pet care checklists: Printable checklists for pet owners to ensure they are providing proper care.
- Pet recipe eBooks: Collection of healthy and homemade pet food recipes for pet owners to make at home.
- Pet grooming tutorials: Step-by-step video tutorials on how to groom pets at home.
- Pet health trackers: Digital tools or apps to monitor and track pet's health and medical records.
- Pet behavior webinars: Online seminars discussing common pet behavior issues and effective solutions.
- Pet photography guides: Tips and tricks on capturing stunning photos of pets for photography enthusiasts.
- Pet adoption guides: Comprehensive guides to help potential pet owners navigate the adoption process.
- Pet product reviews: In-depth digital reviews on pet products, including toys, food, and accessories.
- Pet-friendly travel guides: Guides highlighting pet-friendly destinations, accommodations, and travel tips.
A lot of people search for simple checklists and guides related to different topics. They’d happily pay you for them.
Pros and Cons of Selling Digital Products for Pet Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling digital products as a pet blogger. One major advantage is the potential for passive income. Once you create and market your digital product, such as an ebook or online course, you can continue to sell it without much ongoing effort. This means you can earn money while focusing on other aspects of your blog.
Another benefit is the ability to reach a wider audience. By selling digital products, you can connect with pet owners from all over the world. This can help you establish yourself as an authority in the pet blogging community and increase your blog's visibility.
However, there are also some drawbacks to selling digital products. One challenge is creating high-quality content that stands out in a saturated market. With so many bloggers and influencers selling similar products, it's important to offer something unique and valuable to potential customers.
Additionally, selling digital products requires marketing skills and effort. You'll need to promote your products through various channels, such as social media and email marketing, to attract customers. This can be time-consuming and may take away from the time you can spend on creating content for your blog.
How To Monetize a Pet Blog By Selling Digital Products
The first thing to do is create your digital product.
Look at which content your audience interacts with the most, and brainstorm digital products to help serve their search intent.
That’s what I did when I created our Ultimate Blogging Guide:
Get Your FREE 20-Page Guide To Making $1000/Day From Your Niche Blog
Then, create the product using whatever tools are at your disposal. For example, use Microsoft Word to create an ebook PDF, or Google Sheets to create interactive spreadsheets and checklists.
Next, you have to figure out how to distribute your product. The easiest way to distribute PDFs is by uploading them to your WordPress media library. Then you can give customers the link, and they can download the PDF from there.
Woocommerce can even connect to an email tool like ConvertKit, so as soon as your customer finishes their checkout, they’ll get an email with a link to their download.
TIP: You can still use Lasso to get more clicks to your digital products. Just create a Lasso display with the link pointing to your product’s sales page.
Barring any issues, you won’t have to do anything but watch your bank account grow.
4. Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize a pet blog is by creating an email newsletter. This method allows you to build a loyal audience and engage with your readers on a more personal level. Let's explore how to monetize a pet blog with an email newsletter and the pros and cons of email marketing for pet bloggers.
So you have a pet blog and you're looking for ways to monetize it? One effective method is through an email newsletter. In this section, we'll explore how you can monetize your pet blog with an email newsletter and discuss the pros and cons of email marketing for pet bloggers.
How to Monetize a Pet Blog with an Email Newsletter
An email newsletter is a powerful tool that allows you to connect directly with your audience and build a loyal community of pet lovers. Here's how you can monetize your pet blog using an email newsletter:
1. Build your subscriber list: Encourage your blog visitors to sign up for your newsletter by offering exclusive content, such as pet care tips, product recommendations, or discounts. Use opt-in forms strategically placed on your blog to capture email addresses.
2. Provide valuable content: Once you have a list of subscribers, create engaging and informative content for your email newsletters. Share pet-related articles, product reviews, or even personal stories. By consistently delivering valuable content, you'll build trust and keep your subscribers engaged.
3. Promote affiliate products or services: As a pet blogger, you can partner with pet-related companies and promote their products or services to your email subscribers. Include affiliate links in your newsletters and earn a commission for every sale generated through your recommendations.
Pros and Cons of Email Marketing for Pet Bloggers
- Direct communication: Email newsletters allow you to have direct and personalized communication with your audience, strengthening your connection with them.
- Monetization opportunities: By promoting affiliate products or services, you can earn passive income through your email newsletters.
- Increased website traffic: Including links to your blog posts in your newsletters can drive more traffic to your pet blog, increasing its visibility.
- Time-consuming: Creating valuable content for your email newsletters can be time-consuming, especially if you send them regularly.
- Building a subscriber list: It takes time and effort to build a substantial email subscriber list, and it may require implementing various strategies to attract sign-ups.
- Competition in the inbox: With many emails competing for attention in subscribers' inboxes, it can be challenging to stand out and ensure your newsletters get opened and read.
5. Consulting and Coaching Services
Consulting or coaching is exchanging your expertise and time for a fee. Your customers need an expert, and you’ve proven yourself to be that expert.
As you become an authority in the industry, people will reach out to you with questions about topics they consider you an expert in.
Now, you don’t have to charge for being helpful, but you should place a dollar value on your time.
As a pet blogger, you extensive knowledge of the industry. If a reader reaches out to you asking for help, you should get paid for that effort.
How To Monetize A Pet Blog With Consulting Services
Monetizing a pet blog with consulting services is similar to selling sponsored posts.
Put a “Coaching” option in your nav bar that goes to a landing page outlining your consulting services and your hourly rate. This will help head off some of the people looking for free advice.
TIP: Again, you can use Lasso to drive more clicks to your coaching pages. Just create a Display with a link to your sales page, and insert it into blog posts.
Then, wait for requests to come in, evaluate them, and propose your offer. If the customer accepts, send them an invoice using PayPal or another payment processor, and schedule the call.
Pros and Cons of Selling Consulting Services for Pet Bloggers
Selling consulting services for pet bloggers can be a rewarding and lucrative opportunity for both parties involved. There are several pros and cons to consider when deciding whether to offer consulting services in this niche.
One major advantage of selling consulting services to pet bloggers is the potential for steady income. As a consultant, you can establish long-term relationships with bloggers who may require ongoing guidance and support. This can provide a stable source of revenue and allow you to build a strong client base.
Additionally, offering consulting services allows you to share your expertise and help pet bloggers improve their content and reach a wider audience. You can provide valuable insights on topics such as content strategy, social media marketing, and monetization strategies. By helping bloggers succeed, you also enhance your reputation as a respected and knowledgeable consultant in the pet blogging community.
However, it's important to consider the challenges as well. Consulting services require time and effort to deliver quality advice and support. You may need to dedicate significant hours to research, analysis, and communication with clients. Additionally, the success of your consulting services may depend on the willingness of bloggers to implement your recommendations, which can vary from client to client.
Supercharge your earnings with Lasso. Create no-code product Displays and Tables that convert, find and fix broken links, and gain valuable business insights with revenue analytics.Learn More
Pet Blog Monetization FAQs
What Is The Best Way To Make Money From Pet Blogging?
If you want to build a successful pet blog, then affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize it. It’s the least intrusive way to make a lot of money from your site without much extra effort.
Can I Make A Full-Time Income From Pet Blogging?
How Do I Start a Pet Blog?
Learning how to start a pet blog is the first best way to use your expertise to start an online business.
You need to register a domain, install WordPress, and publish great content. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it!
How Do Pet Bloggers Get Paid?
Most pet bloggers make money through affiliate commissions and advertising fees. Both of these monetization methods pay out one or two months after the fees have been generated.
Some pet bloggers also sell sponsored posts, consulting services, or their own products. In these cases, a payment processor like PayPal or Stripe is necessary.
Is Pet Blogging Easy?
Nothing worth doing is truly easy, but that doesn’t mean pet blogging isn’t fun.
As a pet blogger, you’ll get to go places, try new things, and meet new people. And it will be part of your business! What could be cooler than that?
Is It Worth Starting A Pet Blog?
It’s absolutely worth it to start a pet blog. Not only can you make a living from it, but you can also build a community and control the conversation.
Once you’re an established authority, people in pet-related industries will take you seriously.
Final Thoughts on Monetizing a Pet Blog
So now that you have learned all the different ways you can make money from your pet blog, here's a bonus tip for you:
Try using multiple methods to monetize!
Why? Well, diversifying your income sources is the key to ensuring the future success of your business.
Instead of relying solely on one method, like promoting affiliate offers, why not also incorporate display ads and sell your own products?
By doing this, you won't have to worry if Amazon decides to lower their commission rates again. Your business won't be destroyed.
With a multi-tiered approach, hard work, and careful planning, you'll be well on your way to earning the income your pet blog truly deserves.
Why You Should Trust Our Pet Blogging Content
You may be thinking, "that's all great, but what does Lasso know about pet blogging?"
Quite a lot, actually.
Here's why you can trust our process for building a successful pet blog:
We've Built Wildly Successful Blogs
Lasso is built for affiliate marketers, by affiliate marketers. We're not gurus; we've walked the walk.
Our team members have built multiple blogs from the ground up, some of them earning over seven figures in revenue.
We put that experience into every guide we write, so you can trust we're giving you a process that works.
We Talk To Pet Bloggers Every Day
Lasso's WordPress plugin is installed on over 8,000 websites, including a lot of pet blogs.
Our team supports those bloggers every day as they create awesome content and earn lots of money.
These communications give us a bird's-eye view of what's new in the pet industry. We take that information and use it to keep these guides as up-to-date and accurate as possible.
We're Super Nerds
We've put a lot of company focus into learning everything we can about blogging, affiliate marketing, SEO, and anything to do with online entrepreneurship.
We attend conferences, collect high-level contacts, read tons of books, and distill all of that information into our content. We pass information onto you that was previously only available to industry insiders.