So, you've started a counseling blog and you're wondering how to make some money from it. Well, once you've got the basics down, it's time to dive into monetization.
I promise you, this is where the real fun begins!
Whether you're a newbie or a seasoned counseling influencer, these monetization methods will help you turn your blog into a full-time business. Let's take a closer look at each one.
Why You Can Trust Our Counseling Blog Monetization Guide
Lasso is installed on over 8,000 websites, including many counseling blogs.
Our team has built multiple 7-figure blogs in a wide range of niches.
We have hands-on experience working with founders to grow and monetize their counseling blogs.
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the best monetization method for counseling bloggers because it hits the sweet spot between time investment and earning potential.
Affiliate marketing is a form of advertising where a publisher (the site owner) links to a product in their content and earns a commission from the advertiser (the affiliate program) if readers click on that link and make a purchase.
TIP: With all monetization methods, the rule of thumb is the easier it is to accomplish, the less money you can make, and vice versa.
Also, since you can add links to your existing content, it’s the perfect method for beginners. You’ve already written content, so you’ve already done the hard part.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Counseling Bloggers
When it comes to affiliate products in the counseling blogging niche, there are various options to consider. Here are some different kinds of affiliate products that can be recommended:
- Books: Recommend self-help books, therapy guides, or books on specific counseling topics. These can provide valuable resources for readers looking to expand their knowledge.
- Online courses: Promote online courses related to counseling, therapy techniques, or personal development. These courses can offer in-depth learning opportunities for individuals interested in furthering their counseling skills.
- Workbooks and journals: Suggest workbooks or journals designed to help individuals reflect on their thoughts, emotions, and experiences. These can be useful tools for personal growth and self-reflection.
- Therapeutic tools: Promote products like stress balls, fidget toys, or coloring books that can aid in relaxation and stress management. These tools can be helpful for individuals seeking stress relief or coping strategies.
- Online therapy platforms: Recommend reputable online therapy platforms that offer counseling services through video calls or chat sessions. These platforms can provide convenient and accessible counseling options for individuals seeking professional help.
By recommending these affiliate products, counseling bloggers can provide their readers with valuable resources and potentially earn commissions through their affiliate partnerships.
Once you’ve identified which products will solve problems for your readers, you need to sign up for their affiliate programs.
You should start by joining the Amazon Associates affiliate program.
Most physical products in the counseling niche will be available on Amazon, and the conversion rate on Amazon is insane.
Yes, Amazon’s commission rates are rough, and they only offer a 24-hour cookie duration, but the conversion rate makes up for it. Plus, you’re nearly guaranteed to get accepted into their program.
For products that aren’t available on Amazon, just Google “[Product] affiliate program,” and you’ll find their program’s signup page.
To save you some time, here are a few of the best affiliate networks for counseling bloggers:
Commission Rate: up to 25%
Cookie Duration: 90 days
SelfDecode combines your DNA, labs and lifestyle to provide you with personalized recommendations based on 350+ health risks.
Commission Rate: 20% - 40% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Innovet Pet is a pet supplement marketplace full of specialized products designed to fit the unique needs of different pets.
Commission Rate: $250+
Cookie Duration: 30 - 90 Days
Olavivo is a boutique affiliate network with a focus on Ecommerce, Health & Beauty, Sweepstakes, Gaming, Dating, Finance and Cryptocurrency.
TIP: We maintain a database of the best affiliate programs. Click here to see the best health and wellness affiliate programs.
Once you’ve been approved for the product’s affiliate program, the program will give you your affiliate link, and you can start inserting it into your content.
How To Monetize A Counseling Blog With Affiliate Marketing
To add your link to your content, go to your post editor, highlight the relevant text, and insert the link.
Here are a few best practices for adding affiliate links to your WordPress blog:
- Add links where it’s helpful. Adding too many links to your blog posts is just like adding too many ads; it’s annoying. Add links to product titles, images, CTA buttons, and the first time you mention a product. That’s plenty.
- Disclose your links. Every blog post with affiliate links should have a disclaimer at the beginning, and every CTA or product image should also.
- Use direct sales language. When you are writing your call to action, be direct. It’s not rude to say, “Check the price” or “Buy this product today.” Being too passive makes you look unconfident.
Or, take it a step further by creating product displays.
You Can Double Your Affiliate Sales With Lasso Displays
You can create displays manually using the post editor to add links to images and buttons.
However, it can be time-consuming to create these displays and keep them updated if you’re doing it all by hand.
Luckily, monetizing your blog with affiliate links is simplified when you’re using a tool like Lasso.
Lasso makes it super easy to add links and product displays to your posts. You can add product displays to posts right from the post editor; no coding is required. It’s as simple as clicking your mouse three times.
You can also automatically import product info from retailers like Amazon. Just paste the link into the Lasso dashboard, and Lasso will populate the display with the product title, image, and price.
With all of this, remember to follow the guidelines in the affiliate program’s terms and conditions. Amazon, in particular, is pretty stringent.
But everything Lasso does is compliant with Amazon Associates’ TOS, so you never have to worry about being booted from the program.
That’s just scratching the surface of what Lasso can do to help you monetize your counseling blog. If you’re ready to start making a serious affiliate income from your counseling site, sign up for Lasso today.
A WordPress plugin that lets you add, manage, and display your affiliate links from any program, including Amazon. Increase conversions. Find new affiliate link opportunities. Earn more revenue! Less than 5 minutes to set up.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons for Counseling Bloggers
As a counseling blogger, affiliate marketing can offer both pros and cons for your blog. Let's start with the pros. One of the main advantages is the potential for earning passive income. By promoting relevant products or services through affiliate links, you can earn a commission for each sale or action taken by your readers.
Affiliate marketing also allows you to diversify your income streams. Instead of relying solely on advertising or sponsored posts, you can generate revenue from different sources. This can provide stability and financial security for your counseling blog.
However, it's important to consider the cons as well. One downside is the potential for conflicts of interest. As a counseling blogger, your primary goal is to provide helpful and unbiased information to your readers. If you promote certain products solely for the sake of earning commissions, it may compromise your credibility.
Another challenge of affiliate marketing is the need for continuous effort. It takes time and effort to research and select the right products to promote, create compelling content around them, and optimize your affiliate links. It's not a quick and effortless way to make money, but rather a long-term strategy that requires consistent dedication.
2. Display Ads
The second best way to monetize your counseling blog is with display ads. Ads are the internet's favorite monetization method, but they have severe drawbacks.
How to Monetize a Counseling Blog With Display Ads
Monetizing a counseling blog with display ads couldn’t be easier.
First, choose an ad network to join. Networks have traffic requirements, so here are the best ad networks to join based on your site’s page views:
- 100,000+ Visitors per month - Raptive
- 50,000+ Sessions per month - Mediavine
- < 50,000+ Visitors per month - Ezoic
NOTE: WordPress is an open-source software found on WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a premium blogging platform, but you never need to pay to install WordPress on your website, even if it’s self-hosted.
Once you’re accepted to an ad network, follow their instructions to integrate their ads into your site. They will have documentation for every type of content management service (WordPress, Joomla, Ghost, etc.).
If your chosen ad network has a dedicated accounts manager, they will guide you through getting their ads on your site.
And… that’s it. Let the ads run and wait for your deposits to hit your account.
TIP: Optimize your display ads for user experience by using your chosen network’s software settings or talking to your account manager. Keep the ads in the sidebar and footer whenever possible.
You’ll make a lot of money in the long run if you put your readers ahead of quick profit.
Display Ad Pros And Cons For Counseling Bloggers
Display ads can be a valuable tool for counseling bloggers, but it's important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding to use them on your blog. One of the main advantages of display ads is that they can generate passive income for bloggers. By displaying ads on your site, you have the potential to earn money every time a visitor clicks on an ad or makes a purchase through it.
However, there are also some drawbacks to consider. Display ads can sometimes be intrusive and disrupt the user experience on your blog. They may slow down the loading time of your pages, which can lead to a higher bounce rate. Additionally, displaying too many ads can make your blog look cluttered and unprofessional, potentially driving away readers.
Another important factor to consider is the relevance of the ads to your blog's content. If the ads displayed are not relevant to your audience's interests or needs, they may be less likely to engage with them. It's crucial to find a balance between earning income from display ads and maintaining the integrity and quality of your blog.
In conclusion, while display ads can provide a source of income for counseling bloggers, it's important to carefully consider the pros and cons. Assess the impact on user experience, the relevance of the ads, and the potential to maintain a professional appearance on your blog. With a thoughtful approach, display ads can be used effectively to monetize your blog without compromising its value to your readers.
3. Digital Products
Selling your own digital products is a great way to increase your earnings per visitor in the counseling niche.
A digital product is anything you can sell on your counseling blog that the customer will receive via download.
Digital products to sell on a counseling blog:
- E-books: Comprehensive guides on various counseling topics, providing in-depth knowledge and practical advice.
- Workbooks: Interactive resources to help individuals navigate specific counseling challenges and develop new coping strategies.
- Audio recordings: Guided meditations, relaxation exercises, and affirmations to promote mental well-being and reduce stress.
- Video courses: Online classes taught by experienced counselors, covering specific therapeutic techniques and self-help strategies.
- Printable worksheets: Customizable worksheets for self-reflection, goal-setting, and tracking progress in therapy or personal development.
- Journal prompts: Thought-provoking prompts to encourage self-exploration and enhance the therapeutic process.
- Mobile apps: User-friendly applications offering tools for mood tracking, relaxation exercises, and access to counseling resources on the go.
- Online support groups: Membership-based communities providing a safe space for individuals to connect, share experiences, and receive support from peers.
- Webinars: Live or pre-recorded webinars featuring guest experts discussing diverse counseling topics and answering audience questions.
A lot of people search for simple checklists and guides related to different topics. They’d happily pay you for them.
Pros and Cons of Selling Digital Products for Counseling Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when selling digital products for counseling bloggers. Let's start with the pros.
One major advantage is the potential for passive income. Once you create and launch your digital product, such as an e-book or online course, you can continue to sell it without much ongoing effort. This means you can earn money while focusing on other aspects of your counseling blog.
Another benefit is the scalability of digital products. Unlike offering one-on-one counseling sessions, digital products can reach a larger audience and be sold to multiple customers simultaneously. This allows you to expand your reach and impact more people with your counseling expertise.
However, there are also some cons to consider. Creating high-quality digital products takes time and effort. It's important to invest in research, content creation, and design to ensure your product stands out in a competitive market. Additionally, you'll need to regularly update and improve your products to provide value and keep up with industry trends.
How To Monetize a Counseling Blog By Selling Digital Products
The first thing to do is create your digital product.
Look at which content your audience interacts with the most, and brainstorm digital products to help serve their search intent.
That’s what I did when I created our Ultimate Blogging Guide:
Get Your FREE 20-Page Guide To Making $1000/Day From Your Niche Blog
Then, create the product using whatever tools are at your disposal. For example, use Microsoft Word to create an ebook PDF, or Google Sheets to create interactive spreadsheets and checklists.
Next, you have to figure out how to distribute your product. The easiest way to distribute PDFs is by uploading them to your WordPress media library. Then you can give customers the link, and they can download the PDF from there.
Woocommerce can even connect to an email tool like ConvertKit, so as soon as your customer finishes their checkout, they’ll get an email with a link to their download.
TIP: You can still use Lasso to get more clicks to your digital products. Just create a Lasso display with the link pointing to your product’s sales page.
Barring any issues, you won’t have to do anything but watch your bank account grow.
4. Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize a counseling blog is by creating an email newsletter. This method allows you to build a loyal audience and engage with your readers on a more personal level. Let's explore how to monetize a counseling blog with an email newsletter and the pros and cons of email marketing for counseling bloggers.
How to Monetize a Counseling Blog
How to Monetize a Counseling Blog with an Email Newsletter
If you're a counseling blogger looking to monetize your blog, one effective method is through an email newsletter. An email newsletter allows you to connect directly with your audience, build relationships, and promote your services or products. Here's how you can monetize your counseling blog with an email newsletter:
1. Build a Subscribers List: Start by creating a sign-up form on your blog where visitors can subscribe to your newsletter. Offer them incentives, like a free e-book or a discount on your counseling services, to encourage sign-ups. Focus on growing your subscribers list as it will be the foundation of your monetization strategy.
2. Provide Valuable Content: Once you have subscribers, consistently send them valuable content related to counseling. This can include tips, advice, personal stories, or even exclusive interviews with experts in the field. By providing valuable content, you establish yourself as an authority in counseling and build trust with your subscribers.
3. Promote Your Products or Services: Within your email newsletters, subtly promote your own products or services. For example, if you offer online counseling sessions, mention the benefits in one of your newsletters and provide a link for interested subscribers to learn more or sign up. Be sure to strike a balance between promoting your offerings and providing valuable content, so your newsletters don't come across as too salesy.
Pros and Cons of Email Marketing for Counseling Bloggers
- Direct Communication: Email newsletters allow you to directly communicate with your audience, building a stronger connection and trust.
- Targeted Marketing: With an email list, you can segment your subscribers based on their interests or needs, allowing for more personalized and targeted marketing.
- Monetization Opportunities: Email newsletters provide a platform to promote your own products, services, or affiliate offers to generate income.
- Increased Website Traffic: By including links to your blog posts or website in your newsletters, you can drive more traffic to your counseling blog.
- Email Deliverability: There's always a chance that your newsletters may end up in spam folders or not be delivered at all, limiting your reach.
- Time and Effort: Building and maintaining an email list requires consistent effort, from creating valuable content to managing subscribers and analyzing results.
- Unsubscribes: Some subscribers may choose to unsubscribe from your newsletter, reducing your overall reach and potential monetization opportunities.
- Compliance with Data Privacy Laws: It's important to ensure that you comply with data privacy laws, such as obtaining proper consent and providing an option to unsubscribe.
5. Consulting and Coaching Services
Consulting or coaching is exchanging your expertise and time for a fee. Your customers need an expert, and you’ve proven yourself to be that expert.
As you become an authority in the industry, people will reach out to you with questions about topics they consider you an expert in.
Now, you don’t have to charge for being helpful, but you should place a dollar value on your time.
As a counseling blogger, you extensive knowledge of the industry. If a reader reaches out to you asking for help, you should get paid for that effort.
How To Monetize A Counseling Blog With Consulting Services
Monetizing a counseling blog with consulting services is similar to selling sponsored posts.
Put a “Coaching” option in your nav bar that goes to a landing page outlining your consulting services and your hourly rate. This will help head off some of the people looking for free advice.
TIP: Again, you can use Lasso to drive more clicks to your coaching pages. Just create a Display with a link to your sales page, and insert it into blog posts.
Then, wait for requests to come in, evaluate them, and propose your offer. If the customer accepts, send them an invoice using PayPal or another payment processor, and schedule the call.
Pros and Cons of Selling Consulting Services for Counseling Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when selling consulting services for counseling bloggers. On the positive side, offering consulting services allows you to share your expertise and help others succeed in their blogging journey. By providing personalized guidance, you can help bloggers overcome challenges and achieve their goals more efficiently.
Another advantage of selling consulting services is the potential for generating additional income. As a consultant, you can charge a fee for your services, which can contribute to your overall revenue. Furthermore, working with different bloggers can broaden your network and expose you to new opportunities in the industry.
However, there are also some drawbacks to selling consulting services. One challenge is the time commitment it requires. Consulting often involves one-on-one sessions and personalized advice, which can be time-consuming. Additionally, as a consultant, you may face difficulties in managing client expectations or dealing with clients who are resistant to change.
Lastly, it's important to consider the competitive landscape. As the popularity of blogging continues to grow, more consultants may enter the market, increasing competition. This means you'll need to stay updated with industry trends and continuously improve your skills to stand out from the crowd.
Supercharge your earnings with Lasso. Create no-code product Displays and Tables that convert, find and fix broken links, and gain valuable business insights with revenue analytics.Learn More
Counseling Blog Monetization FAQs
What Is The Best Way To Make Money From Counseling Blogging?
If you want to build a successful counseling blog, then affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize it. It’s the least intrusive way to make a lot of money from your site without much extra effort.
Can I Make A Full-Time Income From Counseling Blogging?
How Do I Start a Counseling Blog?
Learning how to start a counseling blog is the first best way to use your expertise to start an online business.
You need to register a domain, install WordPress, and publish great content. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it!
How Do Counseling Bloggers Get Paid?
Most counseling bloggers make money through affiliate commissions and advertising fees. Both of these monetization methods pay out one or two months after the fees have been generated.
Some counseling bloggers also sell sponsored posts, consulting services, or their own products. In these cases, a payment processor like PayPal or Stripe is necessary.
Is Counseling Blogging Easy?
Nothing worth doing is truly easy, but that doesn’t mean counseling blogging isn’t fun.
As a counseling blogger, you’ll get to go places, try new things, and meet new people. And it will be part of your business! What could be cooler than that?
Is It Worth Starting A Counseling Blog?
It’s absolutely worth it to start a counseling blog. Not only can you make a living from it, but you can also build a community and control the conversation.
Once you’re an established authority, people in counseling-related industries will take you seriously.
Final Thoughts on Monetizing a Counseling Blog
Now that you know all the different ways you can monetize your counseling blog step-by-step, I have one bonus tip for you: Use multiple monetization methods!
Diversify your income streams to protect your business’s future.
Promote affiliate offers, use display ads, and sell your own products to safeguard against commission rate cuts.
With this multi-tiered approach, hard work, and careful planning, you’ll earn what your online business deserves.
Why You Should Trust Our Counseling Blogging Content
You may be thinking, "that's all great, but what does Lasso know about counseling blogging?"
Quite a lot, actually.
Here's why you can trust our process for building a successful counseling blog:
We've Built Wildly Successful Blogs
Lasso is built for affiliate marketers, by affiliate marketers. We're not gurus; we've walked the walk.
Our team members have built multiple blogs from the ground up, some of them earning over seven figures in revenue.
We put that experience into every guide we write, so you can trust we're giving you a process that works.
We Talk To Counseling Bloggers Every Day
Lasso's WordPress plugin is installed on over 8,000 websites, including a lot of counseling blogs.
Our team supports those bloggers every day as they create awesome content and earn lots of money.
These communications give us a bird's-eye view of what's new in the counseling industry. We take that information and use it to keep these guides as up-to-date and accurate as possible.
We're Super Nerds
We've put a lot of company focus into learning everything we can about blogging, affiliate marketing, SEO, and anything to do with online entrepreneurship.
We attend conferences, collect high-level contacts, read tons of books, and distill all of that information into our content. We pass information onto you that was previously only available to industry insiders.