So, you've got your business blog up and running. You've learned the basics like registering a domain and installing WordPress. Now it's time to make some money!
I promise you, monetizing your blog will be the most exciting thing since you started blogging.
Whether you're new to blogging or an experienced business influencer, these monetization methods will turn your hobby blog into a full-time business. Let's dive in and see how.
Why You Can Trust Our Business Blog Monetization Guide
Lasso is installed on over 8,000 websites, including many business blogs.
Our team has built multiple 7-figure blogs in a wide range of niches.
We have hands-on experience working with founders to grow and monetize their business blogs.
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the best monetization method for business bloggers because it hits the sweet spot between time investment and earning potential.
Affiliate marketing is a form of advertising where a publisher (the site owner) links to a product in their content and earns a commission from the advertiser (the affiliate program) if readers click on that link and make a purchase.
TIP: With all monetization methods, the rule of thumb is the easier it is to accomplish, the less money you can make, and vice versa.
Also, since you can add links to your existing content, it’s the perfect method for beginners. You’ve already written content, so you’ve already done the hard part.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Business Bloggers
When it comes to recommending affiliate products in the business blogging niche, there are several options that can be lucrative. Here are some different kinds of affiliate products to consider:
- Web hosting services: Recommending reliable web hosting services can be a great choice. Many bloggers and businesses need hosting for their websites, making it a popular affiliate product.
- Website builders: Suggesting user-friendly website builders can be beneficial. These tools help bloggers and businesses create professional-looking websites without the need for coding skills.
- Email marketing software: Email marketing is a crucial aspect of business blogging. Recommending email marketing software that offers features like automation and analytics can be highly valuable.
- Keyword research tools: Bloggers need to optimize their content for search engines. Recommending keyword research tools can help them find the right keywords to target and improve their organic traffic.
- WordPress themes and plugins: WordPress is a popular platform for bloggers. Suggesting premium themes and plugins can provide bloggers with additional customization options and functionality.
These are just a few examples of the different kinds of affiliate products that can be recommended in the business blogging niche. Each of these products offers unique benefits and can generate income through affiliate partnerships. Remember to choose products that align with your audience's needs and preferences.
Once you’ve identified which products will solve problems for your readers, you need to sign up for their affiliate programs.
You should start by joining the Amazon Associates affiliate program.
Most physical products in the business niche will be available on Amazon, and the conversion rate on Amazon is insane.
Yes, Amazon’s commission rates are rough, and they only offer a 24-hour cookie duration, but the conversion rate makes up for it. Plus, you’re nearly guaranteed to get accepted into their program.
For products that aren’t available on Amazon, just Google “[Product] affiliate program,” and you’ll find their program’s signup page.
To save you some time, here are a few of the best affiliate networks for business bloggers:
Commission Rate: 20%, Up to $700+ per sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Lasso is a WordPress plugin that allows you to quickly create affiliate link displays that earn more money. Manage all your affiliate links in one place.
Commission Rate: 10% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 45 Days
QuickBooks is an accounting software package developed and marketed by the company Intuit. Earn a referral fee by selling QuickBooks software!
Commission Rate: $88.00 Per Sale and $8.00 Per Lead
Cookie Duration: 120 Days
FreshBooks is an online accounting solution designed for small business owners. Get $100 per sale with a 45-day cookie window.
TIP: We maintain a database of the best affiliate programs. Click here to see the best business affiliate programs.
Once you’ve been approved for the product’s affiliate program, the program will give you your affiliate link, and you can start inserting it into your content.
How To Monetize A Business Blog With Affiliate Marketing
To add your link to your content, go to your post editor, highlight the relevant text, and insert the link.
Here are a few best practices for adding affiliate links to your WordPress blog:
- Add links where it’s helpful. Adding too many links to your blog posts is just like adding too many ads; it’s annoying. Add links to product titles, images, CTA buttons, and the first time you mention a product. That’s plenty.
- Disclose your links. Every blog post with affiliate links should have a disclaimer at the beginning, and every CTA or product image should also.
- Use direct sales language. When you are writing your call to action, be direct. It’s not rude to say, “Check the price” or “Buy this product today.” Being too passive makes you look unconfident.
Or, take it a step further by creating product displays.
You Can Double Your Affiliate Sales With Lasso Displays
You can create displays manually using the post editor to add links to images and buttons.
However, it can be time-consuming to create these displays and keep them updated if you’re doing it all by hand.
Luckily, monetizing your blog with affiliate links is simplified when you’re using a tool like Lasso.
Lasso makes it super easy to add links and product displays to your posts. You can add product displays to posts right from the post editor; no coding is required. It’s as simple as clicking your mouse three times.
You can also automatically import product info from retailers like Amazon. Just paste the link into the Lasso dashboard, and Lasso will populate the display with the product title, image, and price.
With all of this, remember to follow the guidelines in the affiliate program’s terms and conditions. Amazon, in particular, is pretty stringent.
But everything Lasso does is compliant with Amazon Associates’ TOS, so you never have to worry about being booted from the program.
That’s just scratching the surface of what Lasso can do to help you monetize your business blog. If you’re ready to start making a serious affiliate income from your business site, sign up for Lasso today.
A WordPress plugin that lets you add, manage, and display your affiliate links from any program, including Amazon. Increase conversions. Find new affiliate link opportunities. Earn more revenue! Less than 5 minutes to set up.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons for Business Bloggers
Affiliate marketing can be a lucrative opportunity for business bloggers. However, like any strategy, it has its pros and cons to consider.
One of the biggest advantages of affiliate marketing is the potential for passive income. By promoting products or services through affiliate links, bloggers can earn a commission on each sale made through their referrals. This means they can continue to earn money even when they're not actively creating new content.
Another benefit of affiliate marketing is the opportunity to diversify income streams. By partnering with different companies and promoting a variety of products, bloggers can reduce their reliance on a single source of revenue. This can provide a sense of security and stability in an ever-changing online landscape.
However, it's important to be aware of the potential drawbacks of affiliate marketing. One challenge is the need to strike a balance between promoting products and maintaining the trust of your audience. Overly aggressive or dishonest promotion can damage your reputation and alienate your readers. It's crucial to only promote products or services that align with your brand and that you genuinely believe in.
2. Display Ads
The second best way to monetize your business blog is with display ads. Ads are the internet's favorite monetization method, but they have severe drawbacks.
How to Monetize a Business Blog With Display Ads
Monetizing a business blog with display ads couldn’t be easier.
First, choose an ad network to join. Networks have traffic requirements, so here are the best ad networks to join based on your site’s page views:
- 100,000+ Visitors per month - Raptive
- 50,000+ Sessions per month - Mediavine
- < 50,000+ Visitors per month - Ezoic
NOTE: WordPress is an open-source software found on WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a premium blogging platform, but you never need to pay to install WordPress on your website, even if it’s self-hosted.
Once you’re accepted to an ad network, follow their instructions to integrate their ads into your site. They will have documentation for every type of content management service (WordPress, Joomla, Ghost, etc.).
If your chosen ad network has a dedicated accounts manager, they will guide you through getting their ads on your site.
And… that’s it. Let the ads run and wait for your deposits to hit your account.
TIP: Optimize your display ads for user experience by using your chosen network’s software settings or talking to your account manager. Keep the ads in the sidebar and footer whenever possible.
You’ll make a lot of money in the long run if you put your readers ahead of quick profit.
Display Ad Pros And Cons For Business Bloggers
Display ads can be an effective tool for business bloggers, but they also come with their own set of pros and cons. One of the main advantages of display ads is their ability to increase brand visibility. By placing ads on relevant websites, bloggers can reach a wider audience and drive traffic to their own site.
Another advantage is the potential for generating revenue through ad placements. By partnering with ad networks or directly with advertisers, bloggers can earn money from clicks or impressions on their display ads. This can provide a steady income stream and help monetize their blog.
However, there are also some drawbacks to consider. Display ads can sometimes be intrusive and disrupt the user experience on a blog. They may slow down the loading speed of a page or even lead to increased bounce rates if they are too distracting or irrelevant to the content.
In addition, bloggers need to carefully consider the placement and design of their display ads to ensure they are effective. Ads that blend seamlessly with the blog's design and align with the audience's interests are more likely to be successful. It's also important to regularly analyze the performance of display ads and make adjustments as needed to optimize their impact.
3. Digital Products
Selling your own digital products is a great way to increase your earnings per visitor in the business niche.
A digital product is anything you can sell on your business blog that the customer will receive via download.
Digital Products to Sell on a Business Blog:
- E-books: Comprehensive guides or tutorials on various business topics.
- Online Courses: In-depth educational programs that cover specific skills or industries.
- Templates: Ready-made templates for business plans, marketing materials, or presentations.
- Stock Photos: High-quality images that can be used for marketing materials or website design.
- Software Tools: Custom-built software applications designed to streamline business processes.
- Webinars: Live or recorded presentations on business strategies, industry trends, or specific topics.
- Business Plans: Templates or ready-to-use business plans for different industries.
- Printables: Printable resources like checklists, calendars, or goal trackers for entrepreneurs.
- Membership Access: Exclusive access to premium content, resources, or a community forum.
A lot of people search for simple checklists and guides related to different topics. They’d happily pay you for them.
Pros and Cons of Selling Digital Products for Business Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling digital products as a business blogger. Let's start with the pros.
Firstly, selling digital products can be highly profitable. Unlike physical products, there are no production or shipping costs involved, which means higher profit margins. Additionally, digital products can be sold repeatedly without any additional effort, making them a great source of passive income.
Another advantage of selling digital products is the ability to reach a global audience. With the internet, you can sell your products to customers from all over the world, increasing your potential customer base and revenue opportunities.
However, it's important to consider the cons as well. One of the main challenges of selling digital products is the risk of piracy and unauthorized sharing. Since digital products can be easily copied and distributed, it's crucial to have effective security measures in place to protect your products and revenue.
How To Monetize a Business Blog By Selling Digital Products
The first thing to do is create your digital product.
Look at which content your audience interacts with the most, and brainstorm digital products to help serve their search intent.
That’s what I did when I created our Ultimate Blogging Guide:
Get Your FREE 20-Page Guide To Making $1000/Day From Your Niche Blog
Then, create the product using whatever tools are at your disposal. For example, use Microsoft Word to create an ebook PDF, or Google Sheets to create interactive spreadsheets and checklists.
Next, you have to figure out how to distribute your product. The easiest way to distribute PDFs is by uploading them to your WordPress media library. Then you can give customers the link, and they can download the PDF from there.
Woocommerce can even connect to an email tool like ConvertKit, so as soon as your customer finishes their checkout, they’ll get an email with a link to their download.
TIP: You can still use Lasso to get more clicks to your digital products. Just create a Lasso display with the link pointing to your product’s sales page.
Barring any issues, you won’t have to do anything but watch your bank account grow.
4. Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize a business blog is by creating an email newsletter. This method allows you to build a loyal audience and engage with your readers on a more personal level. Let's explore how to monetize a business blog with an email newsletter and the pros and cons of email marketing for business bloggers.
How to Monetize a Business Blog with an Email Newsletter
An email newsletter can be a powerful tool for monetizing a business blog. It allows you to directly connect with your audience, build a loyal following, and generate revenue. Here's how you can effectively monetize your business blog using an email newsletter:
1. Build a Subscribers List: Start by creating a compelling opt-in offer on your blog, such as a free ebook or exclusive content, to entice visitors to subscribe to your newsletter. Use prominent opt-in forms and strategically place them throughout your blog to maximize sign-ups.
2. Provide Valuable Content: Once you have subscribers, consistently deliver high-quality and relevant content in your email newsletters. Share exclusive tips, industry insights, and valuable resources that your audience can't find elsewhere. This will keep them engaged and eager to open your emails.
3. Promote Products or Services: Take advantage of your email newsletter to promote your own products or services. Offer exclusive discounts, limited-time offers, or special packages to your subscribers. Highlight the benefits and unique value propositions to encourage conversions.
Pros and Cons of Email Marketing for Business Bloggers
- Direct Communication: Email newsletters allow direct communication with your audience, building a personal relationship and increasing brand loyalty.
- Targeted Messaging: You can segment your email list based on subscribers' interests and preferences, ensuring that your marketing messages are highly relevant and tailored to their needs.
- Increased Conversions: Email marketing has a high conversion rate compared to other marketing channels, making it an effective way to drive sales and revenue.
- Cost-Effective: Sending emails is relatively inexpensive, especially compared to traditional advertising methods, making it a cost-effective option for business bloggers.
- Deliverability Challenges: Email deliverability can be a challenge, as spam filters may flag or block your emails. It's crucial to follow best practices and maintain a good sender reputation.
- Subscriber Fatigue: Bombarding your subscribers with too many emails or irrelevant content can lead to subscriber fatigue and increased unsubscribe rates. It's important to strike a balance and respect your audience's inbox.
- Competition: People receive numerous promotional emails daily, making it essential to differentiate your email newsletters and stand out from the competition to capture your audience's attention.
5. Consulting and Coaching Services
Consulting or coaching is exchanging your expertise and time for a fee. Your customers need an expert, and you’ve proven yourself to be that expert.
As you become an authority in the industry, people will reach out to you with questions about topics they consider you an expert in.
Now, you don’t have to charge for being helpful, but you should place a dollar value on your time.
As a business blogger, you extensive knowledge of the industry. If a reader reaches out to you asking for help, you should get paid for that effort.
How To Monetize A Business Blog With Consulting Services
Monetizing a business blog with consulting services is similar to selling sponsored posts.
Put a “Coaching” option in your nav bar that goes to a landing page outlining your consulting services and your hourly rate. This will help head off some of the people looking for free advice.
TIP: Again, you can use Lasso to drive more clicks to your coaching pages. Just create a Display with a link to your sales page, and insert it into blog posts.
Then, wait for requests to come in, evaluate them, and propose your offer. If the customer accepts, send them an invoice using PayPal or another payment processor, and schedule the call.
Pros and Cons of Selling Consulting Services for Business Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling consulting services for business bloggers.
On the positive side, offering consulting services allows bloggers to leverage their expertise and provide value to other business owners. By sharing their knowledge and insights, they can help others grow and succeed in their own ventures.
Additionally, consulting services can be a lucrative source of income. Bloggers can charge premium rates for their expertise and advice, especially if they have a strong reputation and track record in their niche.
However, there are also some drawbacks to selling consulting services. One potential con is the time and effort required to provide personalized advice to clients. Consulting can be time-consuming, and bloggers may find themselves stretched thin if they have a high demand for their services.
Supercharge your earnings with Lasso. Create no-code product Displays and Tables that convert, find and fix broken links, and gain valuable business insights with revenue analytics.Learn More
Business Blog Monetization FAQs
What Is The Best Way To Make Money From Business Blogging?
If you want to build a successful business blog, then affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize it. It’s the least intrusive way to make a lot of money from your site without much extra effort.
Can I Make A Full-Time Income From Business Blogging?
How Do I Start a Business Blog?
Learning how to start a business blog is the first best way to use your expertise to start an online business.
You need to register a domain, install WordPress, and publish great content. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it!
How Do Business Bloggers Get Paid?
Most business bloggers make money through affiliate commissions and advertising fees. Both of these monetization methods pay out one or two months after the fees have been generated.
Some business bloggers also sell sponsored posts, consulting services, or their own products. In these cases, a payment processor like PayPal or Stripe is necessary.
Is Business Blogging Easy?
Nothing worth doing is truly easy, but that doesn’t mean business blogging isn’t fun.
As a business blogger, you’ll get to go places, try new things, and meet new people. And it will be part of your business! What could be cooler than that?
Is It Worth Starting A Business Blog?
It’s absolutely worth it to start a business blog. Not only can you make a living from it, but you can also build a community and control the conversation.
Once you’re an established authority, people in business-related industries will take you seriously.
Final Thoughts on Monetizing a Business Blog
So now that you know all the different ways to make money from your business blog, here's one more tip for you:
Try using multiple methods to monetize your blog!
Diversifying your income streams is crucial for securing your business's future.
By promoting affiliate offers, using display ads, and selling your own products, you won't be too affected if Amazon lowers its commission rates again.
With this multi-tiered approach, hard work, and careful planning, you'll be well on your way to earning what your online business truly deserves.
Why You Should Trust Our Business Blogging Content
You may be thinking, "that's all great, but what does Lasso know about business blogging?"
Quite a lot, actually.
Here's why you can trust our process for building a successful business blog:
We've Built Wildly Successful Blogs
Lasso is built for affiliate marketers, by affiliate marketers. We're not gurus; we've walked the walk.
Our team members have built multiple blogs from the ground up, some of them earning over seven figures in revenue.
We put that experience into every guide we write, so you can trust we're giving you a process that works.
We Talk To Business Bloggers Every Day
Lasso's WordPress plugin is installed on over 8,000 websites, including a lot of business blogs.
Our team supports those bloggers every day as they create awesome content and earn lots of money.
These communications give us a bird's-eye view of what's new in the business industry. We take that information and use it to keep these guides as up-to-date and accurate as possible.
We're Super Nerds
We've put a lot of company focus into learning everything we can about blogging, affiliate marketing, SEO, and anything to do with online entrepreneurship.
We attend conferences, collect high-level contacts, read tons of books, and distill all of that information into our content. We pass information onto you that was previously only available to industry insiders.