So you've already got your medical blog up and running. Congrats! Now it's time to start making some money from all your hard work.
Don't worry, monetizing your medical blog can be a lot of fun. Whether you're just starting out or you're already an established medical influencer, these methods will help turn your blog into a full-time business.
Let's dive in and explore each monetization method in detail.
Why You Can Trust Our Medical Blog Monetization Guide
Lasso is installed on over 8,000 websites, including many medical blogs.
Our team has built multiple 7-figure blogs in a wide range of niches.
We have hands-on experience working with founders to grow and monetize their medical blogs.
1. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is the best monetization method for medical bloggers because it hits the sweet spot between time investment and earning potential.
Affiliate marketing is a form of advertising where a publisher (the site owner) links to a product in their content and earns a commission from the advertiser (the affiliate program) if readers click on that link and make a purchase.
TIP: With all monetization methods, the rule of thumb is the easier it is to accomplish, the less money you can make, and vice versa.
Also, since you can add links to your existing content, it’s the perfect method for beginners. You’ve already written content, so you’ve already done the hard part.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing for Medical Bloggers
When it comes to affiliate products in the medical blogging niche, there are several options to consider. Here are some different kinds of affiliate products that you can recommend:
- Health supplements: These can include vitamins, minerals, and other dietary supplements that promote health and wellness.
- Medical equipment: This category includes various devices and tools used in healthcare, such as blood pressure monitors, thermometers, or fitness trackers.
- Healthy lifestyle products: These products can range from fitness equipment to healthy cooking appliances, promoting an overall healthy lifestyle.
- Health books and guides: Recommend books or e-books that provide valuable information about specific medical conditions, healthy living, or wellness techniques.
- Natural remedies: Many people seek alternative or complementary treatments. Recommend natural remedies like essential oils, herbal supplements, or homeopathic products.
- Medical subscriptions: Some websites or services offer medical subscriptions that provide access to health-related content, research, or expert advice.
By recommending these types of affiliate products, you can provide your readers with valuable resources and earn commissions for your recommendations. Remember to disclose any affiliate relationships to maintain transparency with your audience. Happy blogging!
Once you’ve identified which products will solve problems for your readers, you need to sign up for their affiliate programs.
You should start by joining the Amazon Associates affiliate program.
Most physical products in the medical niche will be available on Amazon, and the conversion rate on Amazon is insane.
Yes, Amazon’s commission rates are rough, and they only offer a 24-hour cookie duration, but the conversion rate makes up for it. Plus, you’re nearly guaranteed to get accepted into their program.
For products that aren’t available on Amazon, just Google “[Product] affiliate program,” and you’ll find their program’s signup page.
To save you some time, here are a few of the best affiliate networks for medical bloggers:
Commission Rate: up to 25%
Cookie Duration: 90 days
SelfDecode combines your DNA, labs and lifestyle to provide you with personalized recommendations based on 350+ health risks.
Commission Rate: 20% - 40% Per Sale
Cookie Duration: 30 Days
Innovet Pet is a pet supplement marketplace full of specialized products designed to fit the unique needs of different pets.
Commission Rate: $250+
Cookie Duration: 30 - 90 Days
Olavivo is a boutique affiliate network with a focus on Ecommerce, Health & Beauty, Sweepstakes, Gaming, Dating, Finance and Cryptocurrency.
TIP: We maintain a database of the best affiliate programs. Click here to see the best health and wellness affiliate programs.
Once you’ve been approved for the product’s affiliate program, the program will give you your affiliate link, and you can start inserting it into your content.
How To Monetize A Medical Blog With Affiliate Marketing
To add your link to your content, go to your post editor, highlight the relevant text, and insert the link.
Here are a few best practices for adding affiliate links to your WordPress blog:
- Add links where it’s helpful. Adding too many links to your blog posts is just like adding too many ads; it’s annoying. Add links to product titles, images, CTA buttons, and the first time you mention a product. That’s plenty.
- Disclose your links. Every blog post with affiliate links should have a disclaimer at the beginning, and every CTA or product image should also.
- Use direct sales language. When you are writing your call to action, be direct. It’s not rude to say, “Check the price” or “Buy this product today.” Being too passive makes you look unconfident.
Or, take it a step further by creating product displays.
You Can Double Your Affiliate Sales With Lasso Displays
You can create displays manually using the post editor to add links to images and buttons.
However, it can be time-consuming to create these displays and keep them updated if you’re doing it all by hand.
Luckily, monetizing your blog with affiliate links is simplified when you’re using a tool like Lasso.
Lasso makes it super easy to add links and product displays to your posts. You can add product displays to posts right from the post editor; no coding is required. It’s as simple as clicking your mouse three times.
You can also automatically import product info from retailers like Amazon. Just paste the link into the Lasso dashboard, and Lasso will populate the display with the product title, image, and price.
With all of this, remember to follow the guidelines in the affiliate program’s terms and conditions. Amazon, in particular, is pretty stringent.
But everything Lasso does is compliant with Amazon Associates’ TOS, so you never have to worry about being booted from the program.
That’s just scratching the surface of what Lasso can do to help you monetize your medical blog. If you’re ready to start making a serious affiliate income from your medical site, sign up for Lasso today.
A WordPress plugin that lets you add, manage, and display your affiliate links from any program, including Amazon. Increase conversions. Find new affiliate link opportunities. Earn more revenue! Less than 5 minutes to set up.
Affiliate Marketing Pros and Cons for Medical Bloggers
Affiliate marketing can be a great opportunity for medical bloggers to generate income and monetize their content. However, it is important to consider both the pros and cons before diving into this type of marketing strategy.
One of the major benefits of affiliate marketing for medical bloggers is the potential to earn passive income. By promoting relevant products and services on their blog, bloggers can earn a commission for each sale that is made through their affiliate links. This can be a lucrative way to supplement their income without requiring much additional effort.
Another advantage of affiliate marketing is that it allows medical bloggers to provide valuable recommendations and resources to their audience. By partnering with reputable companies and promoting products that they genuinely believe in, bloggers can enhance their credibility and trustworthiness. This can lead to increased engagement and loyalty from their readers.
However, it is important for medical bloggers to be mindful of the potential drawbacks of affiliate marketing. One potential downside is that it may compromise the objectivity and integrity of their content. Bloggers need to ensure that they are promoting products that align with their values and are genuinely beneficial to their audience, rather than solely focusing on earning commissions.
2. Display Ads
The second best way to monetize your medical blog is with display ads. Ads are the internet's favorite monetization method, but they have severe drawbacks.
How to Monetize a Medical Blog With Display Ads
Monetizing a medical blog with display ads couldn’t be easier.
First, choose an ad network to join. Networks have traffic requirements, so here are the best ad networks to join based on your site’s page views:
- 100,000+ Visitors per month - Raptive
- 50,000+ Sessions per month - Mediavine
- < 50,000+ Visitors per month - Ezoic
NOTE: WordPress is an open-source software found on WordPress.org. WordPress.com is a premium blogging platform, but you never need to pay to install WordPress on your website, even if it’s self-hosted.
Once you’re accepted to an ad network, follow their instructions to integrate their ads into your site. They will have documentation for every type of content management service (WordPress, Joomla, Ghost, etc.).
If your chosen ad network has a dedicated accounts manager, they will guide you through getting their ads on your site.
And… that’s it. Let the ads run and wait for your deposits to hit your account.
TIP: Optimize your display ads for user experience by using your chosen network’s software settings or talking to your account manager. Keep the ads in the sidebar and footer whenever possible.
You’ll make a lot of money in the long run if you put your readers ahead of quick profit.
Display Ad Pros And Cons For Medical Bloggers
Display ads can be a valuable tool for medical bloggers, but it's important to weigh the pros and cons before implementing them on your website.
One of the main advantages of display ads is the potential for earning passive income. By allowing ads to be displayed on your blog, you can generate revenue based on the number of impressions or clicks. This can help offset the costs of running your blog and potentially even provide a source of income.
However, it's important to consider the potential drawbacks as well. Display ads can sometimes detract from the overall user experience of your blog. They can be distracting or take up valuable space on the page. Additionally, some ads may not align with the values or content of your blog, which can negatively impact your credibility.
Overall, display ads can be a beneficial source of income for medical bloggers, but it's crucial to strike a balance between monetization and maintaining a positive user experience. Carefully vetting the ads displayed on your blog and regularly evaluating their impact on your readers can help ensure that display ads are a valuable addition to your medical blog.
3. Digital Products
Selling your own digital products is a great way to increase your earnings per visitor in the medical niche.
A digital product is anything you can sell on your medical blog that the customer will receive via download.
Digital products to sell on a medical blog:
- Online courses: Provide in-depth training on specific medical topics, such as anatomy, pharmacology, or medical coding.
- E-books: Offer comprehensive guides on various health conditions, treatments, or medical procedures.
- Medical apps: Develop mobile applications that assist in tracking health metrics, exercise routines, or medication reminders.
- Virtual consultations: Provide online consultations with healthcare professionals for personalized advice and medical opinions.
- Health tracking devices: Sell wearable devices like fitness trackers or smartwatches to monitor vital signs, sleep patterns, or activity levels.
- Medical templates: Offer downloadable templates for medical forms, patient records, or healthcare presentations.
- Wellness programs: Create digital programs focused on stress management, nutrition, weight loss, or mindfulness.
- Medical podcasts: Sell access to exclusive podcast episodes featuring expert interviews, medical news updates, or health tips.
- Telemedicine software: Develop software solutions that enable medical professionals to provide remote consultations or conduct virtual appointments.
- Medical illustrations and images: Provide high-quality digital images or illustrations for medical textbooks, presentations, or websites.
A lot of people search for simple checklists and guides related to different topics. They’d happily pay you for them.
Pros and Cons of Selling Digital Products for Medical Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling digital products as a medical blogger. Let's start with the pros. Firstly, selling digital products allows you to monetize your expertise and knowledge. As a medical blogger, you have valuable insights that can help others, and creating and selling digital products such as e-books or online courses is a great way to share that knowledge and earn an income.
Secondly, selling digital products gives you the opportunity to reach a wider audience. By offering your products online, you can connect with people from all over the world who are interested in your niche. This can expand your reach and impact, allowing you to help more people and build a larger community.
On the other hand, there are also some cons to consider. One potential downside is the time and effort required to create high-quality digital products. Developing content, designing materials, and ensuring everything is well-presented takes time and dedication. Additionally, there is a learning curve involved in setting up an online store and marketing your products effectively.
Furthermore, it's important to be aware that selling digital products as a medical blogger may involve legal and ethical considerations. You need to ensure that your products comply with regulations and guidelines, and that you are providing accurate and reliable information. It's crucial to prioritize integrity and the well-being of your audience.
How To Monetize a Medical Blog By Selling Digital Products
The first thing to do is create your digital product.
Look at which content your audience interacts with the most, and brainstorm digital products to help serve their search intent.
That’s what I did when I created our Ultimate Blogging Guide:
Get Your FREE 20-Page Guide To Making $1000/Day From Your Niche Blog
Then, create the product using whatever tools are at your disposal. For example, use Microsoft Word to create an ebook PDF, or Google Sheets to create interactive spreadsheets and checklists.
Next, you have to figure out how to distribute your product. The easiest way to distribute PDFs is by uploading them to your WordPress media library. Then you can give customers the link, and they can download the PDF from there.
Woocommerce can even connect to an email tool like ConvertKit, so as soon as your customer finishes their checkout, they’ll get an email with a link to their download.
TIP: You can still use Lasso to get more clicks to your digital products. Just create a Lasso display with the link pointing to your product’s sales page.
Barring any issues, you won’t have to do anything but watch your bank account grow.
4. Email Newsletter
One effective way to monetize a medical blog is by creating an email newsletter. This method allows you to build a loyal audience and engage with your readers on a more personal level. Let's explore how to monetize a medical blog with an email newsletter and the pros and cons of email marketing for medical bloggers.
In today's digital age, there are various ways to monetize a medical blog. One effective method is through an email newsletter. By creating and promoting an email newsletter, medical bloggers can not only engage with their audience but also generate revenue. Let's explore how to monetize a medical blog with an email newsletter.
How to Monetize a Medical Blog with an Email Newsletter
An email newsletter can be a powerful tool for medical bloggers to monetize their blogs. Here's how to make the most of it:
1. Build a Substantial Subscriber List: Focus on growing your email subscriber list by offering valuable content and incentives for signing up. This will provide you with a larger audience to market your products or services to.
2. Offer Exclusive Content: Provide exclusive and valuable content to your email subscribers. This could include in-depth medical articles, expert interviews, or access to premium resources. By offering unique content, you can entice readers to subscribe and stay engaged with your newsletter.
3. Partner with Relevant Brands: Collaborate with pharmaceutical companies, medical equipment manufacturers, or health-related service providers to advertise their products or services in your email newsletter. Ensure that the brands align with your blog's niche and audience to maintain authenticity.
4. Include Sponsored Content: Incorporate sponsored content in your email newsletter by featuring relevant products or services. Make sure to disclose any sponsored content transparently to maintain trust with your subscribers.
Pros and Cons of Email Marketing for Medical Bloggers
- Direct Communication: Email newsletters allow direct and personalized communication with your audience, fostering a stronger connection.
- Targeted Marketing: With an email newsletter, you can segment your subscribers based on their interests and send tailored promotions, increasing the chances of conversion.
- Long-Term Relationship Building: By consistently providing valuable content through newsletters, you can build a long-term relationship with your audience, resulting in repeat visits and potential referrals.
- Competition in the Inbox: Subscribers receive numerous emails daily, so standing out among the clutter can be challenging.
- Unsubscribes and Spam Filters: Some subscribers may unsubscribe or mark your emails as spam, affecting the reach and effectiveness of your email marketing efforts.
- Time and Effort: Crafting engaging and valuable newsletters requires time and effort, from content creation to designing visually appealing templates.
5. Consulting and Coaching Services
Consulting or coaching is exchanging your expertise and time for a fee. Your customers need an expert, and you’ve proven yourself to be that expert.
As you become an authority in the industry, people will reach out to you with questions about topics they consider you an expert in.
Now, you don’t have to charge for being helpful, but you should place a dollar value on your time.
As a medical blogger, you extensive knowledge of the industry. If a reader reaches out to you asking for help, you should get paid for that effort.
How To Monetize A Medical Blog With Consulting Services
Monetizing a medical blog with consulting services is similar to selling sponsored posts.
Put a “Coaching” option in your nav bar that goes to a landing page outlining your consulting services and your hourly rate. This will help head off some of the people looking for free advice.
TIP: Again, you can use Lasso to drive more clicks to your coaching pages. Just create a Display with a link to your sales page, and insert it into blog posts.
Then, wait for requests to come in, evaluate them, and propose your offer. If the customer accepts, send them an invoice using PayPal or another payment processor, and schedule the call.
Pros and Cons of Selling Consulting Services for Medical Bloggers
There are several pros and cons to consider when it comes to selling consulting services for medical bloggers. Let's start with the pros.
Firstly, offering consulting services can be a great way to share your expertise and knowledge with others in the medical blogging community. You have the opportunity to help bloggers improve their content, attract more readers, and establish themselves as trusted authorities in the field.
Secondly, selling consulting services can be a lucrative venture. As a consultant, you can set your own rates and potentially earn a significant income by working with multiple clients. This can be especially beneficial if you have a strong reputation and a track record of success in the medical blogging industry.
However, there are also some cons to consider. One challenge is that your time will be limited, and you may need to prioritize clients based on availability. Additionally, some bloggers may have unrealistic expectations or may not be willing to invest the necessary time and effort to see results. It's important to manage these expectations and ensure that you are providing value to your clients.
Supercharge your earnings with Lasso. Create no-code product Displays and Tables that convert, find and fix broken links, and gain valuable business insights with revenue analytics.Learn More
Medical Blog Monetization FAQs
What Is The Best Way To Make Money From Medical Blogging?
If you want to build a successful medical blog, then affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize it. It’s the least intrusive way to make a lot of money from your site without much extra effort.
Can I Make A Full-Time Income From Medical Blogging?
How Do I Start a Medical Blog?
Learning how to start a medical blog is the first best way to use your expertise to start an online business.
You need to register a domain, install WordPress, and publish great content. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it!
How Do Medical Bloggers Get Paid?
Most medical bloggers make money through affiliate commissions and advertising fees. Both of these monetization methods pay out one or two months after the fees have been generated.
Some medical bloggers also sell sponsored posts, consulting services, or their own products. In these cases, a payment processor like PayPal or Stripe is necessary.
Is Medical Blogging Easy?
Nothing worth doing is truly easy, but that doesn’t mean medical blogging isn’t fun.
As a medical blogger, you’ll get to go places, try new things, and meet new people. And it will be part of your business! What could be cooler than that?
Is It Worth Starting A Medical Blog?
It’s absolutely worth it to start a medical blog. Not only can you make a living from it, but you can also build a community and control the conversation.
Once you’re an established authority, people in medical-related industries will take you seriously.
Final Thoughts on Monetizing a Medical Blog
So now you know all the different ways you can make money from your medical blog, step by step. But here's a bonus tip for you:
Try using multiple methods to monetize!
It's important to have a variety of income sources to protect your business's future.
If you promote affiliate offers, use display ads, and sell your own products, you won't be in trouble if Amazon lowers its commission rates again.
With this multi-tiered approach, hard work, and careful planning, you'll be on the fast track to earning what your online business deserves.
Why You Should Trust Our Medical Blogging Content
You may be thinking, "that's all great, but what does Lasso know about medical blogging?"
Quite a lot, actually.
Here's why you can trust our process for building a successful medical blog:
We've Built Wildly Successful Blogs
Lasso is built for affiliate marketers, by affiliate marketers. We're not gurus; we've walked the walk.
Our team members have built multiple blogs from the ground up, some of them earning over seven figures in revenue.
We put that experience into every guide we write, so you can trust we're giving you a process that works.
We Talk To Medical Bloggers Every Day
Lasso's WordPress plugin is installed on over 8,000 websites, including a lot of medical blogs.
Our team supports those bloggers every day as they create awesome content and earn lots of money.
These communications give us a bird's-eye view of what's new in the medical industry. We take that information and use it to keep these guides as up-to-date and accurate as possible.
We're Super Nerds
We've put a lot of company focus into learning everything we can about blogging, affiliate marketing, SEO, and anything to do with online entrepreneurship.
We attend conferences, collect high-level contacts, read tons of books, and distill all of that information into our content. We pass information onto you that was previously only available to industry insiders.